Friday, May 28, 2010

Book review: Fallen

Fallen
Dark, intensely atmospheric and above all romantic, Fallen will cast you into a paranormal world where the lines between good and evil are blurred and where knowing too much could cost you dearly...

Fallen by Lauren Kate (Random House Children's Books)

Let's face it. There are a lot of paranormal young adult fiction books out there in the bookosphere. Some good, some bad and some just tragically average. However, in the midst of all the choices, there is always one book that eventually stands out and just screams "read me".

For me, Fallen was one such book.

Ironically enough, it took me a while to actually start reading it because I've heard so many mixed reviews about this book; the main complaint being that build-up to the actual plot action took far too long, and that some of the character development left much to be desired. Of course, I didn't let other people's opinion get in the way, but I wanted a chance for both the hype and the criticism to die down before I actually read it.

And let me say that I'm glad I went that route, because once I started reading, I couldn't help but fall in love with Fallen.

To give you a brief synopsis of the story, Fallen revolves around the story of Lucinda Price and Daniel Grigori.

 After mysterious circumstances in which Lucinda Price's crush dies, Lucy finds herself at the Sword & Cross boarding school - a school for juvenile delinquents and other screw ups who are there for number of reasons. 

The school is dark, depressing and stifling; and feels more like a dilapidated prison house than a school. Then she lays eyes on Daniel Grigori and everything changes. From the moment she sees him, she can't help but shake the feeling that they've met before. And though she feels an instant attraction and connection to him, Daniel on the other hand, shows nothing but aloof hostility towards her. (No, this isn't Twilight, don't worry)

Still, in spite of his attitude, she can't help but go out of the way to try and find out why he seems so familiar, except in doing so, she sets on a potentially dangerous path which will change her life forever.

I honestly loved this book. I thought it was hypnotically intense and undeniably absorbing. Yes, I do agree to an extent that Fallen was a little slow-reading, but Lauren Kate's writing is so poetically compelling, that I actually didn't really mind it, and in instances, confess to actually welcoming it.

Luce's character was quite interesting and I love the fact that she's so assertive and brave, even though her bravery often errs on the side of foolishness. 

And Daniel? Well, what can I say about him that hasn't been said before?  I love his character but at the same time think that that could change (I won't reveal why just yet). Every single character in this book is interesting but most of their stories are not quite revealed to us, which is a good thing because it leaves room open for the continuation of this story in the next novel, Torment.

Unfortunately, it does mean we have to wait until September for the release date of the next instalment, but in the meantime for those who are hesitant to read this book, give it a chance - you might find yourself pleasantly surprised.  I adored it and can't wait to read the next book.

My rating: 4/5 stars

2 comments:

PK Reeves said...

Excellent review. I found it a bit slow at first and then it really did kick in. The eternal quest for love is karmic for Luce and Daniel. ... Cam is in there and I can't wait to find out more in Torment.

thebookfairyhaven said...

Me too. I'm counting down the days until Torment is released :)