Monday, June 21, 2010

Book review: The Bride Stripped Bare

I read this one a while ago, but it is one of my favourites, so I thought I'd share it. It's not a YA fiction at all (FAR from it), but nonetheless, I found it quite an absorbing read.

The Bride Stripped Bare
The bride stripped bare introduces us to a woman who is leading a perilous double-life and dares to write about it.

The Bride Stripped Bare by Nikki Gemmell (Harper Perennial)
Imagine disappearing off the face of the earth, and all you leave behind is a diary that speaks of a woman nourished by an interior world that no one has an existing knowledge about... a diary which unveils forbidden secrets that speaks of all the longing and sexual awakening of a woman trapped in a stable, happy but lack-lustre marriage.

A diary which revolves around a woman who absconds from the sedate life to live a life of sensual and sexual abandon…

To her friends, she is the good wife – the one you can depend on, the one who is outwardly content, devoted and dedicated to her husband. Her diary, however, reveals a different story altogether.

We, the readers are allowed a peek into her diary and become acquainted with a darker, more intense and sexually emancipated vixen who thirsts for more than the mundane sedateness of marriage and goes out to seek the pleasures her husband cannot fulfill.

The question is… how long can she sustain leading a double-life?

This book is a fascinating take on infidelity from a woman's perspective. It tells startling truths about love, sex and marriage - and strips it of its sugar-coated confectionery that it is usually associated with.

All in all, I thought it was quite an enticing and different read. Not the kind of book I'd normally read to be honest, but once I started, reading about all her escapades intrigued me to the point where I just had to finish the book.

And although I cannot abide the thought of infidelity, the character was written in such a thought-provoking manner, that although I found her actions distasteful, I still ended up actually liking her. The writing itself melds beautifully and seamlessly together, and I often felt as if I were in some kind of erotic dream world.

And to me, that definitely says a lot.

If you're the kind that shies away from erotic literature, then this book is definitely not for you.

My rating:
4/5 stars

0 comments: