Friday, June 4, 2010

Me and my reading habits

I've seen this meme floating around for the last 2 weeks or so (on K's blog at The Lady Critic's Library , but somehow never got around to doing it. Anyway, even though it's so late (and I don't really have time to post the review of Wondrous Strange right now (which I've yet to write), I figured I'd hop on board and divulge a few of my reading secrets.

Do you snack while you read? If so, favourite reading snack:

I think this depends on just how hungry I am. As a rule, I don't really eat while I'm reading as I tend to be very anal about keeping the condition of my books pristine. I realise that there's a sense of irony in this, as many people tend to think that a good book is defined by how curled, bent and filled with coffee stains the book pages are, but I guess I love books too much to want to sully them with fatty food marks, crumbs or stains.

To add to this, I am (eep, confession time) a very messy eater and definitely get crumbs all over the place, and as a result, usually try to make sure I eat something before I pick up a book to read.

What is your favourite drink while reading?
I have to admit to being a huge hypocrite during winter. As a rule, I don't drink anything while I'm reading, but come winter, I usually lie in bed with a book with a steaming hot cup of vanilla latte/hot chocolate /Milo placed on the floor nearby. 

Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?
No, I've never felt the need to. Academic books, in my mind, are a different matter, but I generally don't mark my books with anything else except my name. 

How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book flat open?

Remember that bit about me confessing to being anal about my books? I don't even think I need to tell you how I mark my books, do I?

Fiction, non-fiction, or both?
Fiction wins hands down! I would have to be really, really lacking in reading material in order for me to read a non-fiction, but so far that hasn't happened yet.

Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere?

I can stop anywhere, but I generally prefer reading toward the end of the chapter. It makes it easier for me to see just where I've left off and give me a better sense of where I've been without having to think about how I've gotten to that point.
Stopping in the middle of a chapter often has me taking more than a moment to recap and often has me backtracking to earlier on in the chapter to gain my footing on the novel again.

Are you the type of person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you?
Oh yeah. It hasn't happened yet, but I know that it would if the book that I was reading pushed me beyond the point of irritation.

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away?
I don't do it all the time, but try as often as I can to and then add it to my "word of the day" document. Yes, I collect words. I'm a geek - I know. *grins*

What are you currently reading?
Ice by Sarah Beth Durst. Will probably review it after I've written my reviews for Wondrous Strange and Shiver.

What is the last book you bought?
Wondrous Strange by Lesley Livingston

Are you the type of person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one?
I can read more than one, but prefer not to. I'm generally pretty greedy when it comes to reading, so reading a lot of books at a time would probably see me trying to rush through different bits of different books all in the space of a week. 

I don't really think I'd get any enjoyment out of savouring the book individually, so I prefer to stick to one book at a time - I'm all about fully absorbing and reflecting on the atmosphere, characters, and settings of novel and do not want to rob myself of that experience.


Do you have a favourite time/place to read?
Yes I do. Favourite time? Any time. Favourite place? Any place. Anywhere. ^_^

Do you prefer series books or stand alones?
I enjoy a mixture of both to be perfectly honest. All depends on my mood really.

Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over?
Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Lauren Kate's Fallen and Becca Fitzpatrick's Hush, Hush. Best of all, most people come back to me telling me how much they loved the books. Makes me very happy!

How do you organize your books? (by genre, title, author's last name, etc.)

My bottom shelves contains the books that I've read and the top shelves are packed with the books that I have to still read. I suspect that if I had more time on my hands, I'd probably arrange my books according to author's last name.

1 comments:

-k said...

Oooooh I want to read Ice (I love East of the Sun, West of the Moon; it's my favourite fairy tale).
Thanks for commenting on my blog, and for the shout-out.
Confession time - I haven't read The Iron King either!!! lol.