Friday, July 30, 2010

Book review: Evermore


Evermore
Losing your loved ones can sometimes bring about the best or worst changes in your life… depending on how you look at things.

Evermore by Alyson Noёl (MacMillan)
After losing her entire family in a horrific car accident, 16-year old Ever moves to sunny California to live with her deceased father's twin. 

Retreating into herself, avoiding physical human contact at all costs and constantly wearing baggy and loose-fitting hoodies, Ever is quickly labelled the school's new freak.


If they realised that she could actually see people's aura's, hear people's thoughts and know someone's life story with just a single touch - an ability gained after the death of her family - they would, no doubt, have a field day with this knowledge.

Haunted by her little sister Riley (whose ghostly presence is a source of ), Ever is all about just trying to get through the hum drum of the day.

Then she meets Damen Auguste.

Dangerously attractive, wealthy and undeniably charismatic, Ever feels a connection to him that she just can't explain. And as much as she tries to stay away, she just can't seem to help but gravitate towards him… even though there is something off about him - something that tells her that he's more than what he seems.

My thoughts?

Let me start off by tackling the Twilight comparisons.  I'm a big believer in trying not to compare books that have similar concepts to each other, because let's face it, I think that at some point or another, there will always be one book that will:

a) Make use of a similar concept
b) Be critiqued, reviewed and judged based on the fact that they seemingly make use of what is perceived as a stolen concept, regardless of whether or not the book provides its own unique spin on the idea.

Of course, it's hard not to draw comparisons when you take into consideration that both Twilight and Evermore have the following in common:

a) A sexy male interest who has lived for a long, long time, is able to read minds, drives a fast car and is incredibly wealthy.
b) The withdrawn female protagonist who, against her better judgement finds herself falling in love with him. 

But (and this is only my humble opinion), I think the comparisons end there. I loved this book in a different way than I loved Twilight. In fact, I would go as far as to say that I loved this book far more than I ever loved Twilight and it's probably because of the characters.

The book itself was a light, easy and highly enjoyable read (beautifully written too) and Ever and Damen were both characters that were incredibly likeable.  I think Alyson did such a great job in portraying Ever as both a strong, independent but vulnerable and grieving teen, that I really couldn't help but want things to work out for her.

Her reactions to situations are blessedly normal and, unlike Bella, she doesn't react in the way that Damen would probably have wanted her too, which, considering all that she's been through, is certainly understandable.

And Damen?

Gosh, the guy is hot. I thought I wanted to marry Nick from Need, but I wouldn't mind having a piece of Damen too.  *side rant* Why on earth do these fabulous YA authors make their characters so darn hot? It's so unfair - it just makes us wish they were human. *rant over, but proceeds to going into sulking pout mode*

Aside from his hotness, I really enjoyed the interactions between Ever and him and thought that the chemistry between them was absolutely sizzling.  The additional characters like Haven and Miles (both of whom are Ever's only friends) are interesting ones too and I especially have a soft spot for the OTT Miles (who I wouldn't mind having as my gay bff).

My only complaint?

It would have to be Drina, who just happens to be evil personified and hates Ever simply because Damen loves her.

I did feel that her introduction into the book was a little forced and her major appearances toward the end (I felt) was rather over the top and prolonged to the point where I really just wanted to jump in and kill her myself.

But apart from that, I really, really enjoyed this book. It took me a while (ok, it took me a couple of years) to get around to reading this, but I'm glad I did.

And I'm looking forward to reading the rest of this book series.

My rating: 4/5 stars

3 comments:

Leanna (Daisy Chain Book Reviews) said...

I love the Immortals series. A few years back, the only YA I had read was the Twilight series, and I really wasn't interested in YA fiction at all, but then this was recommended to me, and I totally fell in love with the series (and Damen!). ;-)

I had a few of the same problems that you had with Drina - the introduction of her character was very over the top, and those scenes didn't seem believable to me, but apart from that I love the book. I think Noel writes great characters.

I'll be interested to see how you like the rest of the series. Book 2, Blue Moon wasn't my favourite, but then I loved the third book, Shadowland. I ordered book 4, Dark Flame two weeks ago from The Book Depository and it still hasn't arrived, which is really annoying! I think it may be lost. :(

Stephany said...

This is a GREAT review--not only did you voice all the opinions I had while I was reading the book, this review was so funny! I really enjoyed reading it. I totally agree--Damen is quite hawt. It is extremely unfair how many hot Young Adult characters there are. This review reminded me how much I liked the first book, although the second wasn't as good. I still have to read the third--hopefully it matches/exceeds the awesomeness of the first! Make sure you post a review for Blue Moon! :)

brandileigh2003 said...

I agree- this was a quick and enjoyable read! THere are some similiarities to Twilight, but twilight also has a lot of similarities to LJ Smith's works that was well before Twilight. But they all have their own twists, characters, and ideas.

Thanks for the review.

Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog