Sunday, July 11, 2010

In my mailbox (6)

In my mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren.Here are the books I received this week.

Celtic Magic Tales (Classic Celtic Tales) by Liam Mac Uistin
Summary:

Four ancient Celtic myths that have been passed from generation to generation are woven together in this collection of mythology, magic, and supernatural tales.


From the love quest of Mir and Aideen to the adventures of the sons of Tuireann, who must perform many incredible tasks as penance for murder, and from the story of mischievous Bricriu, who sets the warriors of Ulster against each other, to the tragic love epic of Deirdre and the three brave sons of Usnach, these myths have kept the young and old alike spellbound for generations.

I can't wait to read this one as I adore Celtic mythology and my sister was kind enough to surprise me with this book which she bought while she was on holiday in Ireland.


Beautiful Malice by Rebecca James
This was a book that's been on my To buy list for ages, so I was surprised when a publisher sent this through to me at random. Yay randomness!

Summary:

Following a terrible tragedy that leaves her once-perfect family shattered, Katherine Patterson moves to a new city, starts at a new school, and looks forward to a new life of quiet anonymity.


But when Katherine meets the gregarious and beautiful Alice Parrie her resolution to live a solitary life becomes difficult. Katherine is unable resist the flattering attention that Alice pays her and is so charmed by Alice’s contagious enthusiasm that the two girls soon become firm friends. 


Alice’s joie de vivre is transformative; it helps Katherine forget her painful past and slowly, tentatively, Katherine allows herself to start enjoying life again.

But being friends with Alice is complicated – and as Katherine gets to know her better she discovers that although Alice can be charming and generous she can also be selfish and egocentric. Sometimes, even, Alice is cruel.


And when Katherine starts to wonder if Alice is really the kind of person she wants as a friend, she discovers something else about Alice - she doesn’t like being cast off.


Fragile Eternity by Melissa Marr
I have to admit that I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to reading this. I didn't enjoy Wicked Lovely or Ink Exchange as much as I actually thought I would, but maybe this will surprise me. (And I am all about giving books a chance)


Summary:

Seth never expected he would want to settle down with anyone—but that was before Aislinn. She is everything he'd ever dreamed of, and he wants to be with her forever. Forever takes on new meaning, though, when your girlfriend is an immortal faery queen.


Aislinn never expected to rule the very creatures who'd always terrified her—but that was before Keenan. He stole her mortality to make her a monarch, and now she faces challenges and enticements beyond any she'd ever imagined.


In Melissa Marr's third mesmerizing tale of Faerie, Seth and Aislinn struggle to stay true to themselves and each other in a milieu of shadowy rules and shifting allegiances, where old friends become new enemies and one wrong move could plunge the Earth into chaos.


Anyway, that's it from me. I've got tons of review catching up to do, so will probably focus on  that next. What's in your mailbox this week?

10 comments:

GABY said...

You got Beautiful Malice! That's so cool!!

I always discover books in your blog, Celtic Magic Tales sounds great ;)

Enjoy!

Leanna (Daisy Chain Book Reviews) said...

Beautiful Malice is amazing! I hope you enjoy it. I love the cover art on your edition. :)

Jan von Harz said...

Beautiful Malice sounds intriguing and I would love to read the Celtic Magic Tales. Enjoy all your reds and I look forwardd to reviews.

Kelli (I'd So Rather Be Reading) said...

Fragile Eternity was much better than Ink Exchange, IMO. I liked it but didn't LOVE it. Sometimes that just happens, you know?

I hope you have a great week and happy reading!

Cass said...

Celtic Magic Tales looks beautiful! I'd love to see how it fares. :) Also, Beautiful Malice is on my Wishlist. Definitely my kind of book!

-k said...

Great books this week. I haven't read Wicked Lovely, though I'm not sure if I want to... I don't know. Beautiful Malice looks amazing though!
Happy reading!

Aisle B said...

Yeah for randomness.. I say it's karma so it had to come your way.

Loved the cover for all the books and will hold off buying Fragile Eternity until I hear from you.

Have a great week reading and will post my loot tomorrow.
PS My Name is Memory has me captivated still

Splendibird said...

It's totally worth persevering with the Wicked Lovely series. I felt a bit meh about the first two books as well, but quite enjoyed Fragile Eternity - then Radiant Shadows just blew me away as I suddenly saw how well planned the whole series had been... Hope you enjoy!

brandileigh2003 said...

Great week! You have some sweet reading in your future! Here is what I got.

asamum said...

I adore the Wicked Lovely series :D Beautiful Malice looks awesome and way to go on the celtic tales - being welsh I adore celtic tales :D