Friday, August 27, 2010

Of weekend reading and fabulous book trailers

Sheesh, it's been ages since I've done a book trailer feature, but I figured since I'm barely going to have time to do a book review today (or this weekend for that matter), I'll do one of these. Except, that where it's usually 5, today it will probably be 2, due to the rambling tangent that will probably follow below.

I'm sure most of you must be familiar with the annual Man Booker Prize. Well South Africa has a local version of it and one of our leading bookstores have asked me to be one of the judges for this event. This means I've got to read 6 books and submit a score sheet of the books this coming Monday.

The books I've read:
  • Innocent by Scott Turow (Finished this one and surprisingly enjoyed it, which is weird as I'm not a lover of legal/courtroom drama)
  • Valeria's Last Stand by Marc Fitten (Also finished this one and thought it was sweet, although pointless)
  • One Day by David Nicholls (Just started this one and am already loving it)
Books I still have to read:
  • The Postmistress by Sarah Blake (Looking forward to this one, but I think it's purely because of the cover. Who knows. I hope it surprises me though.)
  • The Man from Beijing by Henning Mankell (I absolutely so DON'T want to read this. Doesn't it just look vomit-worthy? *sulks*  Does this mean I'll end up enjoying it? Book irony often loves to come out and play in situations like these)
  • Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel (Not sure about this one - could be classified as a door stopper I suppose, but we'll see how that goes. Between this one and The Man from Beijing, I think I'd rather read this one though.)
Between now and Monday, I'm going to be incredibly busy with these books. Of course, I'll also be squeezing in time for YA fic  and book reviews, because I think these would be my antidote to the heavy reading that I'm going to need to do this weekend. 

Anyway, now that that little ramble is over, I stumbled upon trailers for 2 books that I've been wanting to read for quite some time now and thought I'd share them.

Trailer 1:


The Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman
Elizabeth has a new job at an unusual library— a lending library of objects, not books. In a secret room in the basement lies the Grimm Collection. That’s where the librarians lock away powerful items straight out of the Brothers Grimm fairy tales: seven-league boots, a table that produces a feast at the blink of an eye, Snow White’s stepmother’s sinister mirror that talks in riddles.

When the magical objects start to disappear, Elizabeth embarks on a dangerous quest to catch the thief before she can be accused of the crime—or captured by the thief.

I so need to get my hands on a copy of this. It's sounds wonderfully adventurous.

Trailer 2:



The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff
Mackie Doyle seems like everyone else in the perfect little town of Gentry, but he is living with a fatal secret - he is a Replacement, left in the crib of a human baby sixteen years ago. Now the creatures under the hill want him back, and Mackie must decide where he really belongs and what he really wants.

A month ago, Mackie might have told them to buzz off. But now, with a budding relationship with tough, wounded, beautiful Tate, Mackie has too much to lose. Will love finally make him worthy of the human world?

I love, love, love changeling stories and became obsessed with them ever since I first read Keith Donohue's The Stolen Child, so it definitely goes without saying that I can't wait for this one!

What are you going to be reading this weekend? And have you entered my giveaway yet? *grins*

5 comments:

Jenny said...

I'm really looking forward to The Replacement as well! It sounds like you have been really busy lately, so I look forward to all your upcoming reviews:)

Lu said...

Thanks so much for these trailers! I love watching trailers :)

GABY said...

I loved The Grimm Legacy trailer. Good luck with your reading!

Darlyn said...

I cant wait for The Replacement!

Aisle B said...

Laughed myself to bits when i read your comment about The man from Beijing... well I hope that The Postmistress fares well since I do love the cover too. Hang in there and you'll be finished before you know it :)