Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday: Like Mandarin

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill from Breaking the Spine. The idea behind this meme is to highlight up and coming releases that we just can't wait to read.

This week's WoW pick is Like Mandarin by Kirsten Hubbard.

It's not normally the type of book I would read, but the teaser snippet in the synopsis easily swayed me and as much as I tried to ignore this, I just kept on coming back to it. And that pretty much says a lot to me. Any book that keeps me coming back to it (and refuses to be ignored) is a book that is probably going to be worth the read.

Release date is set for March 2011.
Like Mandarin by Kirsten Hubbard
Summary:

"I want to be beautiful like you, I thought, as if Mandarin were listening.

I want apricot skin and Pocahontas hair and eyes the color of tea. I want to be confident and detached and effortlessly sensual, and if promiscuity is part of the package, I will gladly follow your lead. All I know is I'm so tired of being inside my body.

I would give anything to be like Mandarin."

~
It's hard finding beauty in the badlands of Washokey, Wyoming, but 14-year-old Grace Carpenter knows it's not her mother's pageant obsessions, or the cowboy dances adored by her small-town classmates.

True beauty is wild-girl Mandarin Ramey: 17, shameless and utterly carefree. Grace would give anything to be like Mandarin.

When they're united for a project, they form an unlikely, explosive friendship, packed with nights spent skinny-dipping in the canal, liberating the town's animal-head trophies, and searching for someplace magic.

Grace plays along when Mandarin suggests they run away together. Blame it on the crazy-making wildwinds plaguing their badlands town.

Because all too soon, Grace discovers Mandarin's unique beauty hides a girl who's troubled, broken, and even dangerous. And no matter how hard Grace fights to keep the magic, no friendship can withstand betrayal.

How beautiful is the writing? I want more of it.What's on your WoW list for the week?

19 comments:

TheBookishSnob said...

I can see why you keep getting drawn back to it. I generally stick to the same genre but this.. this I'd read. Thanks for sharing a great WOW :)

Here's my WOW for the week

LMW said...

This looks really interesting! Thanks so much for sharing! :)
The Delusional Diaries

Tina (Book Couture) said...

New follower here!
Mmmm, that sounds like an awesome book, what a pretty cover! Thanks for spotlighting it. My WoW is in the link below... :)

Hope you have a great day!

●▬▬▬๑۩Tina @ Book Couture۩๑▬▬▬●

Leanna (Daisy Chain Book Reviews) said...

Hadn't heard of this one before, but I have to say I really like the sound of it! I love coming of age tales and the fractured friendship aspect is something that appeals. Adding it to the wishlist! :)

Romy @ Lost.in.Stories said...

This was my WOW pick a couple of weeks ago, great choice :)

Jenny said...

This one is new to me, I love when I find ones I haven't heard of! This one sounds like it will be poignant and hard to read at times. Love it!

Straylights said...

Haven't heard of this one yet, glad you picked it. Sounds like a good step out of my normal reading tendencies :)

Check out my WoW

Heather said...

Hmm, this one could be really interesting... or possibly remind me too much of High School... I always wished I looked like someone else!

Check out mine here:
http://littlesqueed.blogspot.com/2010/09/waiting-on-wednesday_15.html

Lu said...

Oh wow it sounds really good! Thanks for introducing me to it :D

Lucie said...

The writing is definitely fantastic! I can't wait for this one to come out!

GABY said...

Sounds good :D

Lori said...

I hope you get your book and that you enjoy it. Check out what I am Waiting on Wednesday for.

Faye said...

I know, this one looks FAB! can't wait 2 read it!

Aisle B said...

Hmmm I wonder what the outcome will be between the 2 girls. Wild carefree yet so troubled.... Cover made me look twice... it looked like Kate Winslet digitalized. Nope ... see I need glasses!

Stephany said...

This sounds awesome. I love the cover and the title. Going on my TBR list :)
Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Bailey said...

Sounds like a great read! This will go on my list! Thanks for posting it! =) I am also following you now! Looks like a great blog you have here! =)

What I'm Waiting On

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

i hadn't heard of this before! thanks for sharing, it sounds really good!

brandileigh2003 said...

I haven't heard of this one. Thanks for sharing

Kirsten Hubbard said...

hi Tammy,

thanks so much for featuring Like Mandarin!

xoxo
~kirsten