Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday: Awaken

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill from Breaking the Spine. The idea behind this meme is to highlight up and coming releases that we just can't wait to read.

This week's choice is Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky.

Set to be published in May 2011, this one has only recently come to my attention. And I'm sure with so many internet and technology junkies out there, this one will either appeal or strike a raw nerve. Or maybe both.

I do know that this is one book that I want to read though.


Here's a quick summary:

Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky
In the year 2060, everything is done digitally. Kids no longer go to schools. They stay home and take classes online. Adults work from home, too.

Even dating is no longer done in person.

Why walk on a real beach when you can stroll down a digitally remastered one instead? No bad weather, no seagulls, nothing real to ruin a perfectly fine time.


Though she's grown up in this digital world, something about being cut off from everyone doesn't sit right with seventeen-year-old Madeline.

Her favorite activity--the only one she does off line--is soccer. She likes the physicality of it and the comradeship with the other girls.


Then she meets Justin. He, too, prefers life off line. It's all he talks about. He even takes her out to a real coffee shop and an underground club.

Maybe it's his attentiveness, or the physical closeness of actually being with someone, or just that he's very good looking, Madie is definitely drawn to him. But there's also something very aloof about him, like perhaps he's hiding something.


When Madie uncovers the truth, she's faced with the question: What's more important, fighting for what you believe in or love?

What's on your WoW list this week?

11 comments:

Melissa said...

Ok, I adore the sound of this one, and that cover is just beautiful! Brilliant pick! :)

TwilightsDance said...

Great WOW!

Here is my WOW

Yara @ Once Upon a Twilight

Christie (The Fiction Enthusiast) said...

This sounds fantastic! Great pick!

StefanieEmmy said...

That one sounds amazing! Now I'm waiting for it too :D

brandileigh2003 said...

This one sounds great- thanks for sharing!@

Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

Straylights said...

I really really like this cover! I can't wait for this one either!


Check out my WoW :D

Jan von Harz said...

Not sure all this is actully 50 years away. I think some of what is being discussed in this dystopian world will happen a lot sooner, maybe 25 years. I am really anxious to read about Katie's ideas though. Great Pick!

Jenny said...

I've never heard of this one! You always pick ones that are new to me and I love it, I get to add all sorts of new books to my list. Thanks for sharing Tammy!

Aisle B said...

2060 hmmm makes you think just how far ahead will we have progressed in the future.

We already live by the power of the internet and everything is wired now. I still remember when they kicked in the bank machines and we were all so apprehensive about interac... How times have changed.

Awaken sounds good and the cover is quite pretty. Encased... living in a jar. Good marketing.

Casey (The Bookish Type) said...

I'm totally waiting on this one too! The dystopian future thing is really growing on me, and the cover is so awesome!

Casey
My WoW

Steph said...

This one looks really good!Love the cover too. Great pick!

Check out my WOW!