Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday: The Vespertine

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill from Breaking the Spine. The idea behind this meme is to highlight up and coming releases that we just can't wait to read.

This week's WoW pick is The Vespertine by Saundra Mitchell.

There is something about this book that makes me think that this is a story world I would want to get lost in. I haven't read all that many historical YA fiction, but this one seems lush, richly layered and complex.

And it seems to have a huge possibility of a paranormal aspect to this novel as well. Which is a double yay factor for me.


The Vespertine by Saundra Mitchell
Publication date:
March, 7th, 2011
The summer of 1889 is the one between childhood and womanhood for Amelia van den Broek—and thankfully, she’s not spending it at home in rural Maine. She’s been sent to Baltimore to stay with her stylish cousin, Zora, who will show her all the pleasures of city life and help her find a suitable man to marry.

With diversions ranging from archery in the park to dazzling balls and hints of forbidden romance, Victorian Baltimore is more exciting than Amelia imagined.

But her gaiety is interrupted by disturbing, dreamlike visions she has only at sunset—visions that offer glimpses of the future. Soon, friends and strangers alike call on Amelia to hear her prophecies. Newly dubbed "Maine’s Own Mystic", Amelia is suddenly quite in demand.


However, her attraction to Nathaniel, an artist who is decidedly outside of Zora's circle, threatens the new life Amelia is building in Baltimore. This enigmatic young man is keeping secrets of his own—still, Amelia finds herself irrepressibly drawn to him. And while she has no trouble seeing the futures of others, she cannot predict whether Nathaniel will remain in hers.

When one of her darkest visions comes to pass, Amelia's world is thrown into chaos. And those around her begin to wonder if she’s not the seer of dark portents, but the cause.

What's on your WoW list this week?

14 comments:

Romy @ Lost.in.Stories said...

I haven't heard of this one before but it sounds like something I'd love. I haven't read much historical YA fiction either, I did however just finish Bright Young Things which was set in the 20s and I loved it so I think I really should read more books from the YA historical fiction genre.

Leanna (Daisy Chain Book Reviews) said...

oooh yeah, I do like the sound of this one. Haven't read anything by Saundra Mitchell before, although I've heard a lot of good things about Shadowed Summer.

TheBookishSnob said...

What a fabulous find! This looks like an exciting read and it's going straight onto my TBR pile. Thanks for a great WOW recommendation!
Here's my WOW for this week

cynthial11 said...

Can't wait for this one! I read Saundra Mitchell's first book and loved it so I'm anxiously waiting for this one too! =) Great pick!

Christie (The Fiction Enthusiast) said...

I love historical fiction. This sounds like it is my kind of read. Great pick!

Jenny said...

Oh I like the sound of this! You're so good at picking books I'm not familiar with but that I definitely want to read! Thanks for sharing this one:)

Dazzling Mage said...

Ooh, interesting! I love the title. Great pick!

Kristina Barnes♥ said...

Wow, I haven't heard of this at all until your WoW. I'm glad I came across your blog -- this sounds like something I'd really want to read! It's now in my TBR. Thank you for sharing this! :D

I'm also a new follower <3

Saundra Mitchell said...

You won't be disappointed- there's definitely a paranormal aspect to the book. :) Thank you for WoW; I can't wait to get to share the book in March!

Lu said...

Haven't heard of this one! Thanks for sharing :)

Willa said...

I hadn't heard about it either but it sounds good - thanks for sharing this! :-)

Jenny N. said...

Nice pick, this one sounds good.

Aisle B said...

Psychic into future... just my type of read :)

Miss Page-Turner said...

Hey great wait!Maybe you've already got this novel by now?:)I've got the net galley of The Vespertine,will start reading it soon!