Sunday, December 19, 2010

Top 15 books I'm looking forward to in 2011 - Part 1 (and a contest of sorts)

So with the end of year just around the corner, I figured it would be appropriate to round of this year by doing a couple of top 5/10 features. To start off with, I've decided to do a top 15 YA books I'm most looking forward to reading in 2011. Might do a Adult fiction top 10 too, but we'll see if time allows for that.

In the meantime, here's my list of top 15 - they're in no particular order, with the exception of my number 1. I've decided to split this up into 3 parts as it's quite a lengthy post. Full synopsis of books can all be found on Goodreads.

15. Entangled by Cat Clarke
Teaser synopsis: 17-year-old Grace wakes up in a white room, with a table, pens and paper - and no clue how she got here.

As Grace pours her tangled life onto the page, she is forced to remember everything she's tried to forget. There's falling hopelessly in love with the gorgeous Nat, and the unravelling of her relationship with her best friend Sal.

But there's something missing. As hard as she's trying to remember, is there something she just can't see?


Publishing date: January 6th by Quercus

Why I'm looking forward to it: I first fell in love with the cover and was drawn to the book by its actual title, but reading the synopsis really had me intrigued.

Imagine waking up somewhere strange and having no clue how you got there? I want to unravel her mystery and find out more about Ethan and the role he plays in how Grace got to where she finds herself.


14. Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini
Teaser synopsis: Set on the island of Nantucket, STARCROSSED tells the tale of Helen Hamilton, a young woman whose destiny is forever altered when she meets Lucas Delos and tries to kill him in front of her entire high school.

Which is terribly inconvenient, not only because Lucas is the most beautiful boy on the island, but also because Helen is so achingly shy she suffers physical pain whenever she is given too much attention.


Making matters worse, Helen is beginning to suspect she’s going crazy.

Whenever she’s near Lucas or any member of his family she sees the ghostly apparitions of three women weeping bloody tears, and suffers the burden of an intense and irrational hate.

She soon learns that she and Lucas are destined to play the leading roles in a Greek tragedy that the Three Fates insist on repeating over and over again throughout history.

Publishing date: May 31st by Harper Teen

Why I'm looking forward to it: You mean besides the gorgeous, gorgeous cover? Well, I've got an obsession with Greek mythology and Greek history, so the fact that this has Greek tragedy written all over it definitely nabbed my attention.

After all, her namesake is Helen of Troy. And as most of you know - Helen of Troy was the face that launched a thousand battle ships. So excited for this one.


13. Tempest Rising by Tracy Deebs
Teaser synopsis: Tempest Maguire wants nothing more than to surf the killer waves near her California home; continue her steady relationship with her boyfriend, Mark; and take care of her brothers and surfer dad.

But Tempest is half mermaid, and as her seventeenth birthday approaches, she will have to decide whether to remain on land or give herself to the ocean like her mother.


The pull of the water becomes as insistent as her attraction to Kai, a gorgeous surfer whose uncanny abilities hint at an otherworldly identity as well.

And when Tempest does finally give in to the water's temptation and enters a fantastical underwater world, she finds that a larger destiny awaits her
.

Publishing date: May 10, 2011 by Walker Books

Why I'm looking forward to it: Mermaids for the win. I really can't wait for this because I adore mermaids and think that even though there are a few mermaid books out there, there really, really should be more. Besides, underwater worlds are always magical, aren't they? Pair that with some romance and fins, and you've probably got yourself a winner. Yay for more mermaid stories.

12. Belladonna by Mary Finn
Teaser synopsis: When Thomas Rose first spots the girl hidden by the roadside, she looks as drab as a lark, with only her red kerchief giving her away.

But French Hélène, who goes by "Ling," is no ordinary bird. Tiny Ling enchants Thomas with her wild spirit and tales of a circus where she danced atop her beloved horse, Belladonna.


But the horse has been sold, and Ling must fetch her back. Now Thomas’s life as a clever but unschooled wheelwright’s son is about to change.

Their search leads to painter George Stubbs, who euthanizes ailing animals in order to study their anatomy.



Stubbs draws eerie horses that stride as if they could move out of the paper world into the real one - but he assures his young friends that their horse is safe at a nearby estate.

As Ling and Thomas devise a risky plan to recover Belladonna, Stubbs hires Thomas as an apprentice, teaching him to read and write as well.


Publishing date: June 14th by Candlewick Press
Why I'm looking forward to it: I know this might seem like a weird reason, but before I read the synopsis, I actually fell in love with the title of the book because it bears the same name as one of the most poisonous and deadly flowers out in the world of botany.

I developed a fascination with this flower after reading The Poison Diaries and because I think the name is very pretty.

Of course, this novel has got nothing to do with the flowers, but I do love the premise of the novel and fell in love the moment circus and dancing horse was mentioned. Also,  I love the fact that the MC is of Asian descent, which is very rare in YA fiction - or maybe I just haven't come across any until now. Either way, I'm looking forward to this one! 


11. Die for Me by Amy Plum
Teaser synopsis: Die for me is the first of three books about Kate, a sixteen-year-old American who moves to Paris after the death of her parents.
 

She finds herself falling for Vincent, who she discovers is not the typical French teenager he appears: he is something else entirely.

Publishing date: May 10th by Harper Teen

Why I'm looking forward to it: I'm a big believer in less is more, and this book is a perfect example of not giving any information besides the necessary away.

I suppose there will be a more detailed synopsis at a later stage, but the supernatural element has me incredibly intrigued.

I'm dying to find out what Vince is, aren't you? And also, is that cover not one of the most beautiful covers you've ever seen?


Anyway, that's it for part 1.

Will be doing part 2 and 3 soon , but in the meantime, share your list of can't wait for reads in the comment box below and take a guess at what my number 1 choice is as well as a means of contacting you. I've got 5 signed Like Mandarin bookmarks to giveaway (I'll take a photo and post it up later), so who knows - you may just be one of those who wins.

Hint: The answer doesn't lie in the prize that I'm giving away. That would be making it way too easy.

9 comments:

Leanna (Daisy Chain Book Reviews) said...

I love end of year top 5's and 10's...and 15's!

I'm looking forward to Starcrossed and Die for Me for sure! But my number one is Desires of the Dead closely followed by Where she Went.

I can't wait to see your top 10!

Jenny said...

Great choices Tammy! I can't wait for Starcrossed or Die for Me either, both look fabulous. Oh and Entangled:) Belladonna is new to me so thanks for sharing that one! Looking forward to the rest of the list!

I have no idea what your number one could be. City of Fallen Angels? Wolfsbane? Wildfire? I could keep going and going:)

Cass (Words on Paper) said...

Um, Across the Universe by Beth Revis? I dunno.

Can't wait for all of those, by the way. Especially Starcrossed--it's just so pretty. :P

cc932005 at hotmail dot com

Jess13angel said...

I'm goint to guess that your number one choice is City of Fallen Angels, only because it's also the book I'm DYING to read xD
angel13js@gmail.com

Chrissie said...

I'm really looking forward to Entangled! I haven't heard of the other books you've listed but they all sound really good - thanks for bringing them to my attention :)

Aisle B said...

I'm really going to expand my little world with your suggestions. The one that peaks my interest is Die for Me. The synopsis and cover got me at the first glance.

Jan von Harz said...

I am with you on most of these especially Entangled and Starcrossed. Love the covers and the summaries have me excited too.

Melissa said...

I am SO dying to read these, too, Tammy! The cover for Entangled is to die for, isn't it? Gahhh books keep getting better and better!

Clover said...

Huh. The only one on your list that I've even heard of is Entangled (which I absolutely adored!) But so many of the others look great too. So many pretty covers..