Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Top 15 books I'm looking forward to in 2011 - Part 2

So in between being on holiday, getting major sun burn and having issues with my laptop (and me resorting to using my sister’s pc to blog), things have certainly been interesting on my side.  Anyway, I hope everyone’s had a fantastic Christmas and that you’ve been reading up a storm over this festive break.

Before I continue my list of books I’m looking forward to, I’ve decided to make a change. I won’t be doing that spontaneous contest as mentioned on part 1, but have decided to make it a proper contest with more goodies, so be sure to look out for more info as soon as I’ve completed this series.

In the mean time, here is part 2 of the books I’m most looking forward to reading in 2011.


10. The Vespertine by Saundra Mitchell
Teaser synopsis: It’s the summer of 1889, and Amelia van den Broek is new to Baltimore and eager to take in all the pleasures the city has to offer. 

But her gaiety is interrupted by disturbing, dreamlike visions she has only at sunset—visions that offer glimpses of the future. Soon, friends and strangers alike call on Amelia to hear her prophecies.

However, a forbidden romance with Nathaniel, an artist, threatens the new life Amelia is building in Baltimore. This enigmatic young man is keeping secrets of his own—still, Amelia finds herself irrepressibly drawn to him.


Publishing date: March 7 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children's
Why I'm looking forward to it: Ah, art, romance, paranormal and visions at sunset. This historical paranormal fic has had me excited for the longest time now.

Based on the synopsis, it sounds like it’s going to be one lyrically and descriptively compelling read filled with secrets, mysteries and romantic intrigue. I can’t wait for this one.  

9. Wrapped by Jennifer Bradbury
Teaser synopsis: Agnes Wilkins dreams of adventures that reach beyond the garden walls, but reality for a seventeen-year-old debutante in 1815 London does not allow for camels—or dust, even.

No, Agnes can only see a mummy when she is wearing a new silk gown and standing on the verdant lawns of Lord Showalter’s estate, with chaperones fussing about and strolling sitar players straining to create an exotic “atmosphere” for the first party of the season. An unwrapping.

This is the start of it all, Agnes’s debut season, the pretty girl parade that offers only ever-shrinking options: home, husband, and high society.

It’s also the start of something else, because the mummy Agnes unwraps isn’t just a mummy. It’s a host for a secret that could unravel a new destiny—unleashing mystery, an international intrigue, and possibly a curse in the bargain.


Publishing date: May 24th by Atheneum
Why I'm looking forward to it:  Ok, if The Vespertine didn’t give you a clue that I love historical fiction, then Wrapped by Jennifer Bradbury oughta do it.

Aside from Greek mythology, I’ve also got a passion and huge interest in Egyptian history and mythology so this paired with mentions of a curse, antiques, and debutante balls (with an added dash of romance I’m sure), is one of the novels I can’t wait to read. Also, isn’t that cover simply gorgeous? Love, love, love.

8. Possession by Elana Johnson
Teaser synopsis: Vi knows the Rule: Girls don’t walk with boys, and they never even think about kissing them. But no one makes Vi want to break the Rules more than Zenn…and since the Thinkers have chosen him as Vi’s future match, how much trouble can one kiss cause?

The Thinkers may have brainwashed the rest of the population, but Vi is determined to think for herself.


But the Thinkers are unusually persuasive, and they’re set on convincing Vi to become one of them….starting by brainwashed Zenn.

Vi can’t leave Zenn in the Thinkers’ hands, but she’s wary of joining the rebellion, especially since that means teaming up with Jag.

Jag is egotistical, charismatic, and dangerous: everything Zenn’s not. Vi can’t quite trust Jag and can’t quite resist him, but she also can’t give up on Zenn.

This is a game of control or be controlled. And Vi has no choice but to play.


Publishing date: June 7th by Simon Pulse
Why I'm looking forward to it: Another one of those books with beautiful covers (I really get the feeling that 2011 is going to be a year filled with plenty of gorgeous covers to boot). Cover aside, this dystopian novel sounds like it definitely has all the right ingredients for a must-read: rebellion, egotistical hot boys, romance and did I mention rule-breaking? Really? I don’t need to tell you to add this to your TBR pile do I?
 
7. Burn Bright by  Marianne de Pierres
Teaser synopsis: Into a world of wild secrets and deadly pleasures comes a girl whose innocence may be her greatest strength.

In Ixion music and party are our only beliefs. Darkness is our comfort. We have few rules but they are absolute . . .

Retra doesn’t want to go to Ixion, the island of ever-night, ever-youth and never-sleep. Retra is a Seal – sealed minds, sealed community. She doesn’t crave parties and pleasure, experience and freedom.

But her brother Joel left for Ixion two years ago, and Retra is determined to find him. Braving the intense pain of her obedience strip to escape the only home she’s ever known, Retra stows away on the barge that will take her to her brother.

When she can’t find Joel, Retra finds herself drawn deeper into the intoxicating world of Ixion. Come to me, whispers a voice in her head. Who are the Ripers, the mysterious guardians of Ixion? What are the Night Creatures Retra can see in the shadows? And what happens to those who grow too old for Ixion?

Retra will find that Ixion has its pleasures, but its secrets are deadly. Will friendship, and the creation of an eternal bond with a Riper, be enough to save her from the darkness?
Publishing date: March 1st 2011 by Random House Australia
Why I'm looking forward to it:  How dark, deliciously creepy and romantic does this one sound?

I’m simply dying to know who and what the Ripers are and can’t wait to read about Ixion. Music, party and ever-youth? It all sounds like an intriguing, mysterious and romantic mix all blended into what I’m sure will be one fantastic novel. Best of all? It’s the first book in a trilogy.  

6. Timeless by Alexandra Monir
Teaser synopsis:  When tragedy strikes Michele Windsor’s world, she is forced to uproot her life and move across the country to New York City, to live with the wealthy, aristocratic grandparents she’s never met.

In their old Fifth Avenue mansion filled with a century’s worth of family secrets, Michele discovers a diary that hurtles her back in time to the year 1910.

There, in the midst of the glamorous Gilded Age, Michele meets the young man with striking blue eyes who has haunted her dreams all her life – a man she always wished was real, but never imagined could actually exist.

And she finds herself falling for him, into an otherworldly, time-crossed romance.

Michele is soon leading a double life, struggling to balance her contemporary high school world with her escapes into the past. But when she stumbles upon a terrible discovery, she is propelled on a race through history to save the boy she loves – a quest that will determine the fate of both of their lives.


Publishing date: January 11th by Delacorte
Why I'm looking forward to it: Historical time-crossed romance? Oh yes please. I love the idea of the main character veering back and forth between her contemporary world and the past life that she finds herself immersed in. 

And the blue-eyed hottie in this book? Well not much is mentioned about him, but I for one, can’t wait to meet him.

That’s it from me for part 2. I’ll post the final instalment to this later this week, followed by new contest details and finally some reviews (so behind on those).

9 comments:

Leanna (Daisy Chain Book Reviews) said...

Timeless is most definitely high on my list for 2011! I love the sound of that one!

I've read a couple of mixed reviews for The Vespertine, but I like the sound of it, so hopefully I'll get around to checking it out!

Jenny said...

Yep, those are all on my list for 2011 too! I can't wait to get my hands on them, and we don't have to wait too much longer for Timeless, yay! Nice picks Tammy:)

Melissa said...

I'm dying to read all of these books, Tammy! Great list all around :)

brandileigh2003 said...

I am looking up Possession now!

Jan von Harz said...

I am definitely looking forward to all of these too. However, I must admit that Possession is a new title just discovered thanks to you. Great list!

Jamie said...

All of these look really excellent! I had only heard of the first one so I'll be adding this to my "to watch for" list! Thanks for sharing! :)s

Straylights said...

OH OH! *waves* Hi! I LOVE your new blog layout! The wings! They Sparkle!!! Not gonna lie, I tried to touch the sparkles. LOL anyways! I am looking forward to Timeless too!

Clover said...

Again, I've not heard of most of these except Possession. You have a great eye for picking out books with absolutely incredible looking cover art! :)

Black Disaster Fairy said...

Burn bright looking positively morbid. I can't wait!

Black Disaster Fairy
A World of Personality