Saturday, January 22, 2011

Top 10 books I’m looking forward to in 2011 - Part 3

Yikes. I know. I know. This is a post that I probably should have done long time ago, but because I had very little time, have now decided to do a final round up. 

There are obviously so many books out there that I’m looking forward to reading this year, but if I had to do any more of these, then I’d probably ONLY be filling up my blog with these lists. Besides, those are what the WoW meme is for right?

Anyway, here are my last 5 that I’m highlighting. I’ve tried to make it so that the choices aren’t all that obvious, so if you don’t see books like Forever by Maggie Stiefvater or City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare on here – it does not mean that they’re not up here with this list.

Because they are.

I just wanted to highlight some books that I think people aren’t expecting me to.

You can click here for part 1 and here for part 2. 

5. Between the Sea and the Sky by Jaclyn Dolamore
Teaser synopsis: For as long as Esmerine can remember, she has longed to join her older sister, Dosinia, as a siren--the highest calling a mermaid can have. Then Dosinia runs away to the mainland, and Esmerine is sent to retrieve her.

Using magic to transform her tail into legs, she makes her way unsteadily to the capital city. There she comes upon a friend she hasn't seen since childhood--a dashing young man named Alandare, who belongs to a winged race of people.


As Esmerine and Alandare band together to search for Dosinia, they rekindle a friendship . . . and ignite the emotions for a love so great it cannot be bound by sea, land, or air.


Publishing date:
June 7th 2011 by Bloomsbury

Why I'm looking forward to it:
I fell in love with this book before I even saw the cover (which, I have to say, is absolutely gorgeous). I’ve made a promise to myself to read mermaid/siren fiction this year as I haven’t had much of a chance to do so last year.  Which is why this one is so very high up on my list.

Well that and the fact that I really love the premise of this novel and the mermaid and winged race combo, which I don’t think I’ve come across in any other novels thus far. I’ve also heard that Jaclyn is a fantastic storyteller  - but first, I’m going to try and get my hands on a copy of her previous novel, Magic Under Glass.
4. Through her eyes by Jennifer Archer
Teaser synopsis:  Sixteen-year-old Tansy Piper moves with her grandfather and her mother, a horror writer, to the setting of her mother's next book--a secluded house outside of a tiny, desolate West Texas town.

Lonely and upset over the move, Tansy escapes into her photography and the dark, seductive poems she finds hidden in the cellar, both of which lure her into the mind and world of a mysterious, troubled young man who died sixty years earlier.


Publishing date:
April 5th 2011 by HarperTeen

Why I'm looking forward to it:
This one has been on my TBR pile for ages now. I really want to read this because it appeals to my inner (albeit amature) photography geek and because the synopsis alludes to darkly, seductive poetry.

Really... what literature lover could resist that? Also, the mysterious and troubled young man? Has definitely piqued my curiosity in more ways than one. Am dying to see how this novel plays itself out.
3. Abandon by Meg Cabot
Teaser synopsis:
When Pierce first sees him, she thinks he is a murderer. She's right about one thing - he does take lives.

But not in the way she ever imagined.

Pierce is drawn to the dark stranger even as she tries to uncover the mystery surrounding the tragic death of someone close to her.

As she gets closer to the truth -- and the stranger -- unexpected secrets are revealed, even in her own heart.


Publishing date:
April 26th 2011 by Scholastic Inc.

Why I'm looking forward to it:
 By now, I think I’ve made it clear just how much I adore Greek mythology – and this one is a darkly, seductive retelling of Persephone’s story. Swoon.

Why do I get the feeling that 2011 is going to be a year for mythological retellings?

 In which case, it would make me one very, very happy book blogger.  Anyway, I can’t wait for this one and it definitely doesn’t hurt that the book has such an awesome cover to go along with it too. 
2. Clarity by Kim Harrington
Teaser synopsis:
Clarity "Clare" Fern sees things. Things no one else can see. Things like stolen kisses and long-buried secrets.

All she has to do is touch a certain object, and the visions come to her. It's a gift.

And a curse.
When a teenage girl is found murdered, Clare's ex-boyfriend wants her to help solve the case--but Clare is still furious at the cheating jerk.

Then Clare's brother--who has supernatural gifts of his own--becomes the prime suspect, and Clare can no longer look away.

Teaming up with Gabriel, the smouldering son of the new detective, Clare must venture into the depths of fear, revenge, and lust in order to track the killer. But will her sight fail her just when she needs it most?

Publishing date:
March 1st 2011 by Scholastic Point

Why I'm looking forward to it:
Ok, ok – I have yet to see anyone who is not looking forward to this book.  Aside from the luminescent cover, I admit to completely being swayed by the synopsis of the book.

I have to confess to not having read a book where the character had an ability to be able to see things that no one else can, so I’m really looking forward to stepping into unchartered territory. Luckily the wait for this one isn’t too long – which definitely makes me happy. Can’t wait to purchase a copy when it’s finally released.

....And drum roll... time for number 1, which without further ado, is:
1. Falling Under by Gwen Hayes
Teaser synopsis: Theia Alderson has always led a sheltered life in the small California town of Serendipity Falls.

But when a devastatingly handsome boy appears in the halls of her school, Theia knows she's seen Haden before- not around town, but in her dreams.

As the Haden of both the night and the day beckons her closer one moment and pushes her away the next, the only thing Theia knows for sure is that the incredible pull she feels towards him is stronger than her fear.


And when she discovers what Haden truly is, Theia's not sure if she wants to resist him, even if the cost is her soul.


Publishing date:
March 1st 2011 by New American Library

Why I'm looking forward to it:
Another book that has been on my radar for a very long time now. In fact, it was one of the very first picks for the weekly WoW meme and even though it was a couple of months back, my lust for this book still remains as strong as ever. I admit that I was once again sucked in by the beautiful cover. (*sarcasm starts* Well, aren’t I just a big bundle of unpredictability to you all? :-) *sarcasm ends*)

Not only that though, I am really curious about Haden and just what it is about him that is so alluring to Theia.

I get the feeling this is not an ordinary paranormal romance and that there will be plenty of refreshing surprises in this novel. Definitely doesn’t sound like your run-of-the-mill vamp story.

And that’s a wrap on these posts.  It took me a while, but hey, I eventually got it done, which is what counts. :)

So, anything on this list that you're looking forward to? Or any other reads I may have missed out on? I'd love to read about books you're looking forward to.

10 comments:

brandileigh2003 said...

I like your new layout very pretty!
I am also really looking forward to Falling Under :)
Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

Jan von Harz said...

I am definitely looking forward to Meg Cabot's new one, and now that you have highlighted it Between the Sea and Sky. I have already read Clarity and will be very anxious for the next book in this series because I loved the characters and the setting.

Miss Page-Turner said...

Uh yes yes yes!Very good selection. I cannot wait for Clarity and Falling Under, they are both on my DAC 2011 list. Do you know if Through Her Eyes is a YA debut novel?I searched her website but couldn't find another YA book she has written before...

Jennifer said...

Excited to see THROUGH HER EYES on your list! I hope you enjoy it. Miss Page-Turner, yes, this book is my debut in YA, although I have written several novels for adults.

Jenny said...

Great books on this list Tammy! I'm dying for Clarity and Abandon, I can't get my hands on those fast enough. Only a couple more months and we can get them all!

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

Your list is fabulous, Tammy! I'm dying to read Between the Sea and Sky, as well...I think it's one of my most anticipated books overall! :)

daydreamerN said...

I can't wait to read all of these for my blog! 5 ( sky and sea) is one I can't wait for! I love her first book! and also Meg's. I love her books!

Leanna (Daisy Chain Book Reviews) said...

So many great picks! I'm really looking forward to Abandon. Guess what - I love Greek Mythology too! :) Through her eyes had somehow bypassed me, but I'll definitely be checking it out now. I'm on an ARC tour for Falling Under, but I'm like 7th or 8th on the list, so I might get to read it some time in 2013 or thereabouts. ha!

Lu said...

Great books Tammy!

Aisle B said...

I so love the sound of Falling Under... ah will wait for it and hope you get this one soon.

Another great way to learn about everything I've yet to read. Great list my dear.