Friday, February 18, 2011

Drought blog tour (author guest post): When I'm not writing

I don't know about you but one of the things that fascinate me most about authors (published or in the process of being published), is how they manage to find the time to write.  As someone who works as a full time online book journalist (which is just a part of my job description), I barely have time to blog and juggling my time tends to become a rather tricky feat.

Yet, somehow these fabulous authors not only manage to get their writing done, but they also manage to balance it all out by finding time to do and participate in all the things that they love, apart from writing ('Tis an art that I have yet to get right)..

This is why I'm very excited to be hosting Pam Bachorz, author of the  recently released YA dystopian fiction novel Drought on my blog today as part of the Drought blog tour arranged by Jessica and Kari over at The Teen Book Scene.

In today's blog tour stop, Pam tells us what she does when she's not writing. I really enjoyed reading this as there are many of the things she lists that I love doing as well. Especially the bit about board games and word games.

Without further ado, here's Pam's list of things that she loves to do when she's not writing.

When I'm not writing by Pam Bachorz
 

Well, I'm the mother to a kindergartener and I also work full-time for a textbook publisher, so that tends to take up a lot of time!

But when I can make some time, I have developed an obsession for what I call "flail fitness": aerobics classes with a lot of dance moves.


My ultimate favorite is Body Jam but I also love Zumba and have gotten hooked on the Kinect dance game for the days when I can't get to a "flail" class.

I also am the mostly symbolic leader of a Bunco group--a bunch of women who meet up once a month to play a dice game and gossip.

I love it; I started the group when we moved to DC three years ago and I've made some of my closest DC friends through that group.

We try to make a point of getting out and exposing our Little Dude to culture regularly, so we visit DC's amazing selection of museums pretty often. Most recently we went to see a special Norman Rockwell exhibit at the Smithsonian.

And I love to travel wherever, whenever, even if it's just an overnight to the next closest city. My sister lives outside of NYC so she and my brother-in-law are frequent victims of our love of travel! Not frequent enough, though.

Finally, I adore board and word games. The minute someone says "Monopoly", "Bananagrams" or "Dominoes", I am THERE!

About the book:
Drought by Pam Bachorz

Ruby Prosser dreams of escaping the Congregation and the early-nineteenth century lifestyle that’s been practiced since the community was first enslaved.

She plots to escape the vicious Darwin West, his cruel Overseers, and the daily struggle to gather the life-prolonging Water that keeps the Congregants alive and gives Darwin his wealth and power.

But if Ruby leaves, the Congregation will die without the secret ingredient that makes the Water special: her blood.


So she stays.

But when Ruby meets Ford, the new Overseer who seems barely older than herself, her desire for freedom is too strong.

He’s sympathetic, irresistible, forbidden—and her only access to the modern world.

Escape with Ford would be so simple, but can Ruby risk the terrible price, dooming the only world she’s ever known?


Doesn't it sound fabulous? I, for one, cannot wait to get my hands on a copy!

Thanks to Kari and Jessica for having me host Pam on my blog today and to Pam for stopping by on my blog today. Be sure to check out the rest of the blog tour stops here.

Additional author info:
-Follow Pam on twitter here.
- For more info on her books, bio and any news relating to her books, you can also visit her website here.

3 comments:

Jan von Harz said...

Wow Pam has one busy life no doubt about it. I have had my eye on Drought for a while and really want to read it. Thanks for the post. I will be looking forward to getting my hands on Pam's book.

Aisle B said...

Great post on Pam Bachorz. They did a great cover for her book and impressed by her juggling of life: multitasking with kindergarten babe not easy plus all the little things in life.

Sending you multitasking spells your way but ensure to send some back since I need them to whip me old body back in shape.... plague of being blog reviewer... love it but body is suffering majorly!

Miss Page-Turner said...

I feel the need to put Drought on my wishlist now. That's a great guest post and I am so into travelling and board games aswell;)