Monday, December 5, 2011

Of Light and Darkness blog tour: Character interview

As part of the Of Light and Darkness book blog tour today I'll be interviewing Valek the smouldering hot vamp and love interest of his human charge, Charlotte.

Before we get to the interview, here's a brief overview of what the book is about: 

About the book:
When one human stands before an army of impossible obstacles, the likelihood of overcoming them in this coming-of-age modern fairytale may result in war between light and darkness.

Abandoned as an infant in Prague, naive and strong-willed Charlotte Ruzikova was raised by one of the last Vampires left alive. 

As a human, she knows no other home than the one nestled deep in the woods of Eastern Europe, where Witches drew spells of enchantment, Phasers threw tea parties, and Elves are the closest in kin.

Charlotte has lived her life in the dark with her Guardian, content to having him to herself and reveling in his attention, until she's realizes she wants more...

Resident medical doctor and Vampire, Valek Ruzik fears the day his ward would come of age and blossom into a fine woman, and he is forced to confront his own motives as time is of the essence once his past catches up to him, and their lives become endangered...

As genocide and war threatens their secret society, the dictator in power is ready to wipe out Valek's race, but Charlotte will not allow that to happen. 

Fighting for the only one she's ever loved and truly believed in, she will do whatever it takes to save their love...before the sun comes up and light takes over.

Sounds fab, doesn't it?

On to the interview...

Welcome to The Book Fairy's Haven, Valek (I hope you don't eat book-loving fairies for breakfast).  

Chuckles darkly:: No, no. Fairy blood doesn't sit well with me, but thanks for asking. 

Beware of Mr. Trinozka, though. I never know where that spider is hiding and if he's hungry. Because, as you know, arachnids do eat flies. ::eyes Book Fairy deviantly:: Thank you for having me...

1. If we had to ask Charlotte to describe you in less than 10 words, what do you think she would say about you?

Well, Charlotte's vision of me is a little skewed. She'd probably come up with something like 'a selfless hero who is more human than monster.' However, I wish Charlotte would see me for what I actually am. I'm afraid she's lacking a reality check.

2. For those that haven't read your story yet, can you tell us a little about your Vampiric abilities. What makes you different to any other vampire out there?

I am greatly aware of the many vampires that exist in the universe. The ones that sparkle. The ones that...fang-bang ::shudders::

No, I'm afraid our kind reverts back to the original classics of Bram Stoker and even modern-classics like Anne Rice. We have fangs, we roam the night, the sun is lethal, we move without you seeing, stalk without you knowing, we infiltrate your thoughts - your dreams - your nightmares.

Once we choose you, there is no escaping, I'm afraid. We are lethal monsters that no human should ever in their right mind hang around. Luckily for me, Charlotte wasn't in her right mind since the day I found her...

3. What is it like living in a world filled with all sorts of wondrously strange and (sometimes) wicked creatures?


It's wonderful. I love that there is such diversity and so much culture between our races that live in our small, Occult city.

Of course, I could do without the Elves, but I do have my love of the fairies ;), the phasers, the ogres, the enchanted scarecrows, and sometimes, the witches. It is a fantastical atmosphere and a wonder to behold indeed.

4. You have one last day to spend with Charlotte. Where in Prague would you take her and how would you spend your final day with her?


One last day with Charlotte? Hmm...that's something I do not even wish to think about, but I'll play along.

If I had to spend one last day with Charlotte, in Prague, I would take her back to Hradcany, where I found her.

I would show her the exact spot where I first saw her when she was too little to remember. I would tell her of that night, and how it felt when I decided to keep her forever.

After that, we'd stroll along Charles Bridge, and listen to the folk musicians play for meager earnings in the night. We'd watch the water gleam under the lights that set Prague castle aglow every evening.

We'd watch the fireworks they set off over the Vltava to the West. We'd walk the castle gardens, completely alone, so I could spend those last moments telling her how much I absolutely adore the very make of her and how I will always be with her.

And then I'd wrap her in my arms, and we'd watch the sunrise together while I slowly disintegrate into ash for the final time, listening to her weep quietly next to me.

There! I've played your game! Happy? Now you've gotten me emotional...

5. If you could trade places with a supernatural being from another book for a day, who would you choose and why?


I think I'd like to be that water serpent from Beowulf for a day. That would be an interesting experience...

Special thanks to Valek for taking the time out to answer my questions. A huge thanks also goes out to the fabulous team over at the Teen Book Scene for allowing me to partake in this tour.

Want to meet Valek's maker?

You can follow Shayne Leighton on twitter here. Be sure to check out the rest of the tour stops, by clicking on the banner below.


1 comments:

Nejjie <3 said...

Great Interview! This is the best one yet! :)