Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday: The Polar Opposites edition

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill from Breaking the Spine. The idea behind this meme is to highlight up and coming releases that we just can't wait to read.

Today, I'm featuring two books, from different genre spectrums, hence the title of my WoW post.

First up is When the Sea is Rising Red.

I've recently received an ARC of When the Sea is Rising Red, but thought I'd feature it as my top pick for Waiting on Wednesday this week, because not only is Cat Hellisen South African, but she lives in the same city that I do. Woohoo! Also, the book sounds absolutely phenomenal. Hoping to start it this weekend!

I'm loving the fact that SA authors are writing YA fiction and I hope that this is only the start of many more to come.

On that note, I'm also currently reading an as-yet-to-be published YA novel by Sally Partridge (another South African author) and the book is all about zombies and the dark underbelly of black magic and voodoo.

I'm really excited about it. It's fantastically written, has an interesting premise and well, is just something so very different and refreshing. I can't wait to see this book out in the wild! In the mean time, you can also check out her other YA novel, Dark Poppy's Demise.

Anyway, here's some more info about When the Sea is Rising Red. The great thing about this book is that you won't have to wait long for it. It's out next week.
  
When the Sea is Rising Red by Cat Hellisen
Publication date
: February 28th 2012 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux
Summary:
After seventeen-year-old Felicita’s dearest friend, Ilven, kills herself to escape an arranged marriage, Felicita chooses freedom over privilege.

She fakes her own death and leaves her sheltered life as one of Pelimburg’s magical elite behind.

Living in the slums, scrubbing dishes for a living, she falls for charismatic Dash while also becoming fascinated with vampire Jannik.

Then something shocking washes up on the beach: Ilven's death has called out of the sea a dangerous, wild magic.

Felicita must decide whether her loyalties lie with the family she abandoned . . . or with those who would twist this dark power to destroy Pelimburg's caste system, and the whole city along with it.

This one's been getting some rave reviews. Make sure you add it to your books-to-read list.


The second book on my WoW list, is a book called Tell the Wolves I'm Home. I first heard about this book at one of Pan Macmillan South Africa's book presentations. My first thought was that this book has one of the most beautiful titles I've ever come across.

Then of course, I read the synopsis. And fell in love. There's just something that is incredibly different about this book, and so far, from what I've heard, this book, which deals with love, loss and grief, is absolutely phenomenal.

Here's some more info about it.

Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt
Publication date: June 2012 by PanMacmillan
Summary:
In this striking literary debut, Carol Rifka Brunt unfolds a moving story of love, grief, and renewal as two lonely people become the unlikeliest of friends and find that sometimes you don’t know you’ve lost someone until you’ve found them.

1987. There’s only one person who has ever truly understood fourteen-year-old June Elbus, and that’s her uncle, the renowned painter Finn Weiss.

Shy at school and distant from her older sister, June can only be herself in Finn’s company; he is her godfather, confidant, and best friend.

So when he dies, far too young, of a mysterious illness her mother can barely speak about, June’s world is turned upside down.

But Finn’s death brings a surprise acquaintance into June’s life—someone who will help her to heal, and to question what she thinks she knows about Finn, her family, and even her own heart.

At Finn’s funeral, June notices a strange man lingering just beyond the crowd. A few days later, she receives a package in the mail. Inside is a beautiful teapot she recognizes from Finn’s apartment, and a note from Toby, the stranger, asking for an opportunity to meet.

As the two begin to spend time together, June realizes she’s not the only one who misses Finn, and if she can bring herself to trust this unexpected friend, he just might be the one she needs the most.

And, that's it from me for this week. What's on your WoW list? Feel free to share your links below.

6 comments:

Lindsay Cummings author said...

I haven't heard of the second one before! sounds awesome!

stop by my WOW post?!

http://lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/2012/02/waiting-on-wednesday-nerve.html

Danica Page said...

OOh both of these sound really good. I'm definitely going to have to read these.

My WoW/WWW Post

Happy reading!

~Danica Page
Taking It One Page At a Time

Miss Vain's Paranormal Fantasy said...

Great choice! I also want to read these. Especially the one with the girl laying in the sand! :)
Thanks for staring, cute header.

I'm a New GFC follower btw
My WoW: http://MissVainsParanormalFantasy.com

Dani @ Refracted Light said...

When the Sea is Rising Red is a fantastic book! I hope you get a chance to read it soon! I haven't heard of the second book, but it sounds very interesting as well! Great picks!

My WoW

crunchingsandmunchings said...

Tell the Wolves I'm Home looks amazing—thanks for the recommendation!
—Rebecca at Crunchings and Munchings

Michelle said...

Nothing like DANA to be in the MOB with ROCKY...two assholes without a calling or an education...all they wanted was money the easy way and OSIRIS with EXTREME MINING showed the way.
They made ROKST - ROCUNROL?
Good for them.
Cause now,they are both in a movie due to hurting GREYHOUNDS...RELLY.
CHESTERRIFIC ?
NICE BLOG.