Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday: Of Mermaids and Sirens

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill from Breaking the Spine. The idea behind this meme is to highlight up and coming releases that we just can't wait to read.

I seem to have jumped on the Mermaid and Siren bandwagon of late; always being on the lookout for any book that has anything to do with these fantastical creatures and making sure to add it to my TBR pile. 

In today's WoW post, I'm highlighting two books which not only have awesome covers, but sound like they could really be fantastic reads.

First up is:
 

Waking Storms by Sarah Porter
Publication date: July 3rd 2012 by Harcourt Children's Books

After parting ways with her troubled mermaid tribe, Luce just wants to live peacefully on her own.

But her tranquility doesn’t last long: she receives news that the tribe is on the verge of collapse and desperately needs her leadership.
 
The tribe’s cruel queen wants Luce dead. Dorian, the boy Luce broke mermaid law to save, is determined to make her pay for her part in the murder of his family. 

And while the mermaids cling to the idea that humans never suspect their existence, there are suddenly ominous signs to the contrary.

But when Luce and Dorian meet, they start to wonder if love can overpower the hatred they know they should feel for each other. Can Luce fulfill her rightful role as queen of the mermaids without sacrificing her forbidden romance with Dorian?

Waking Storms is actually the second book in the Lost Voices trilogy, the first book entitled Lost Voices. Looks like an intriguing read. Can't wait to see how this one pans out.

The second book on my WoW list is: 

Wake by Amanda Hocking
Publication date: August 7th 2012 by St. Martin's Press

Beautiful. Fearless. Dangerous. They're the kind of girls you envy; the kind of girls you want to hate. 

Strangers in town for the summer, Penn, Thea, and Lexi have caught everyone's attention, including the eye of practical Harper.

But it's her sister, Gemma, they've chosen to be part of their group.

Sixteen-year-old Gemma seems to have it all - carefree, pretty, and falling in love with the boy next door. But her greatest passion has always been the water.

She craves late night swims under the stars, where she can be alone yet belong to the sea. Lately she's had company. Penn, Thea, and Lexi spend their nights dancing, singing, and partying on the cove--and one night Gemma joins them. 

When she wakes up groggy on the beach the next morning, she knows something has changed.

Suddenly Gemma is stronger, faster, and more beautiful than ever. As she uncovers the truth about her new mythical powers, Gemma is forced to choose between staying with those she loves or entering a dark world brimming with unimaginable secrets

How fabulous is the cover? I'm really looking forward to this one, especially as I've just recently finished and loved Switched, the first book in the Trylle trilogy.

That's it from me for this week. What's on your Wow list? Feel free to share your list of links below.

8 comments:

Lindsay Cummings author said...

underwater covers are the best!

stop by my WoW post? I have a review of the book, so others can get excited about it!

http://www.lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/2012/03/waiting-on-wednesday-review-grave-mercy.html

Danica Page said...

Ooh both of these look great! I definitely need to read both of these. Thanks for sharing!

Here's my WoW/WWW post

Happy Reading!

~Danica Page
Taking It One Page at a Time

Book Slave said...

Hi there :) just popping in...

I'm also your newest follower :)

Here is my choice...
Waiting On Wednesday

Small Blonde Hippy said...

I've never read any books about mermaids but this sounds like my kind of thing. I'll check it out. Thanks!

Here's mine: Small Blonde Hippy

Kristin@BloodSweatandBooks said...

Both of these are fantastic choices!!

My WoW@BloodSweatandBooks

Kristin
International Giveaway

Carina said...

I haven't read many mermaid books so far, but there are going to be published so many awesome ones this year that I'm sure that this'll change soon. :D Awesome picks!

Carina
Fictional Distraction

GABY said...

I also can't wait to read Waking Storms!

My WoW

Leanna (Daisy Chain Book Reviews) said...

I love the cover of the Amanda Hocking book! I haven't read anything by her yet, but I must get around to it soon! The only mermaid/siren book I've read (I think!) is Siren by Tricia Rayburn, and I really enjoyed that one!