Thursday, May 24, 2012

Night Sky blog tour: Guest Post: Top 10 YA contemporary romance reads

As part of the Night Sky blog tour, I must say that I'm very, very excited about today's post. You see, today I have Jolene Perry, author of the book, stopping by on my blog to chat about her favourite YA contemporary romance novels.

Now one of the reasons I'm excited about this post is because I've been reading a lot of contemp fiction lately, and as someone who generally prefers paranormal reads over realistic fiction, have to say that the more I've been reading, the more addicted to them I'm becoming.

From Twenty Boy Summer to Anna and the French Kiss and The Sky is Everywhere, up until recently, I really had no idea what I was missing out on. 

So, with this in mind, and after being invited to partake in the Night Sky tour (Night Sky, is obviously a contemporary romance), I simply had to ask Jolene to tell us about her favourite realistic YA romance novels.

Before we move on to her post, here's some more info about Night Sky.

About the book: 
After losing Sarah, the friend he’s loved, to some other guy, Jameson meets Sky. Her Native American roots, fluid movements, and need for brutal honesty become addictive fast. 

This is good. Jameson needs distraction – his dad leaves for another woman, his mom’s walking around like a zombie, and Sarah’s new boyfriend can’t keep his hands off of her.

As he spends time with Sky and learns about her village, her totems, and her friends with drums - she's way more than distraction. Jameson's falling for her fast.

But Sky’s need for honesty somehow doesn’t extend to her life story – and Jameson just may need more than his new girl to keep him distracted from the disaster of his senior year.

You can click here to add Night Sky to your TBR pile.

On to Jolene's favourite YA reads (with commentary in-between from yours truly. Because I'm a chatterbox like that)!

Top 10 contemporary romance reads
1. Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles because the scene where he teaches her to drive gets me every time.

(I should add that this book is still sitting on my shelf. Must get around to reading this - almost everyone who's read this has had nothing but great things to say about it).

2. The Summer Series by Jenny Han because being with a girl as she comes into her own, and getting the boy she wants, and then not getting the boy she wants, and then not knowing which boy she wants is all very fun.

3. Fixing Delilah By Sarah Ockler because that Patrick with his honey voice, and guitar slay me.

(I just recently read Sarah Ockler (Twenty Boy Summer) for the first time and fell in love.
You can bet your last dollar I'm going to be getting my hands on both Fixing Delilah and Bittersweet. Sarah's writing is BEAUTIFUL.)


4.Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins because of Cricket. Favorite. Book. Boy. Ever.

(Also a must-read. Read Anna and the French Kiss not too long ago and fell in book love. It goes without saying that I now want to read the rest of Stephanie's books).

5. Juliet Immortal by Stacey Jay because I adore re-tellings and I NEVER knew what would happen next in this one. Ever.

6. Grounding Quinn by Stephanie Campbell because I read her book, and still re-read some parts when I don't know what to read.

7. Catching Jordan by Miranda Keneally
because a girl who plays football, who hangs with the guys? Lots of guys?? Yes, please.

8.The Unwritten Rule by Elizabeth Scott because the end was really, really, good, and I felt each and every moment of those "forbidden" kisses. 

9.The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson because I can't resist the characters in that story, and I still sometimes open the book just to read the poems.

(This is without a doubt, one of my top 5 favourite reads of all time. Seriously, if you don't like this book, you can't be my friend. And that is all.

And if you don't like it, you better lie to me and tell me that you did. *grins* << This should give you an indication of just how much I love this book).


10.Saving June by Hannah Harrington because sometimes it's fun to be with two people who annoy the crap out of each other as they fall in love.

(Also want to read. Two characters + road trip = win).

Thanks for having me!! This was fun :-D

Thanks for doing this Jolene - I had even more fun featuring you.  

About Jolene:
Jolene grew up in Wasilla, Alaska. She graduated from Southern Utah University with a degree in political science and French, which she used to teach math to middle schoolers.

After living in Washington, Utah and Las Vegas, she now resides in Alaska with her husband, and two children. Aside from writing, Jolene sews, plays the guitar, sings when forced, and spends as much time outside as possible.

She is also the author of The Next Door Boys and the upcoming Knee Deep.

You can catch Jolene on:
Twitter
Her website
Her blog
Goodreads

Special thanks to Tribute Books for inviting me to be a part of this tour. Be sure to check out their website and Facebook page.

To check out her next stop and the rest of the blog tour schedule, click on the banner below.


So, to end off with, what's your favourite contemporary YA romance read and why? I'm always on the lookout for new ones to read, seeing as I've become such a junkie for them of late.
 
Please feel free to recommend some - better yet, if you've reviewed it, leave a link so I can go and check it out.

7 comments:

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

this book sounds so good!! and what a great list!

Jolene Perry said...

OKay. Perfect Chemistry. Swoon. Seriously.

Also - I liked Lola even better than Anna. Cricket... just, I love hottie geeky boys.

And Ockler. EVERYTHING she writes is awesome. Her next involves a guy and a motorcyle - SO excited about that one. And I liked Delilah even better than 20 Boy Summer. The scene under the willow tree with the firecrackers...

Thanks for letting me take over for a day!

Tribute Books said...

Thanks for featuring Jolene today!

Steph said...

Wowza, thanks for including Quinn on this list, Jolene! :) NIght Sky is a gorgeous contemp read, as is KNEE DEEP. Another one of my fav's that I've recently read is DOUBLE CLUTCH (well, the entire Brenna Blixen series). Hilarious and romantic and so much fun!! :)

Leanna (Daisy Chain Book Reviews) said...

Some great picks here! I'm a big fan of Perfect Chemistry --love that book! I need to read some Sarah Ockler soon!

Miss Page-Turner said...

Whoa what a great list!!! I loved Perfect Chemistry, Catching Jordan, the Summer series and Lola and the Boy Next Door. I could scroll through lists like these all day long and never get bored LOL. Summer reads are my faves!

Brandileigh2003 (Blkosiners Book Blog) said...

I agree about Perfect Chemistry. Great guest post idea.
Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog