Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Top 10 Tuesday: Favourite book quotes

So, this is my first time I'm taking part in Top 10 Tuesday, a weekly meme brought to you by the team from The Broke and the Bookish. I've been meaning to take part in this feature for so long, but have either :

a) not had time and;
b) forgotten about it

Having said that, I'm hoping to take part in this more regularly - it is a fun way of getting to know what people like when it comes to all things book related.

For future themes, you can head on over to The Broke and the Bookish and check out the features page, where the team have a list of all the past, present and future topics for Top Ten Tuesdays.

This week's theme is all about favourite book quotes.  I've done a similar post to this in the past, but for me, you can never have enough of these kind of posts. There's always a new favourite book, which means there'll always be a new favourite quote.

That said, I've also decided to include some of the quotes I've done previously, simply because I love them so much. In no particular order, here are 10 of my favourite book quotes.

1. “So now you must choose... Are you a child who has not yet become world-weary? Or are you a philosopher who will vow never to become so? To children, the world and everything in it is new, something that gives rise to astonishment. It is not like that for adults. Most adults accept the world as a matter of course.

"This is precisely where philosophers are a notable exception. A philosopher never gets quite used to the world. To him or her, the world continues to seem a bit unreasonable - bewildering, even enigmatic. Philosophers and small children thus have an important faculty in common. The only thing we require to be good philosophers is the faculty of wonder…”
― Jostein Gaarder (Sophie's World)
 

I've always had a taste for books with a bit of a philosophical theme to it, and for me, Sophie's World, along with The Solitaire Mystery (another Jostein Gaarder favourite of mine), were such great reads for me.

Personally, even though I think that The Solitaire Mystery is better, this specific quote from Sophie's World is one that has stayed with me for all these years. I reckon it would be good to re-read this book.


2. “It's a weird smile, but it reaches his eyes and I bottle it. And I put it in my ammo pack that's kept right next to my soul and Justine's spirit and Siobhan's hope and Tara's passions.

"Because if I'm going to wake up one morning and not be able to get out of bed, I'm going to need everything I've got to fight this disease that could be sleeping inside of me.”
― Melina Marchetta (Saving Francesca)

Saving Francesca is one of the saddest, funniest and most heart-warming books I've read. It's also, a book, that has helped me through the worst of my depression last year.

In fact, and I don't s
ay this about many books, but if there's one book that saved my life during the course of last year, then Saving Francesca was and is that book for me. I can't recommend this book enough. 

3. “Someone needs to tell those tales. When the battles are fought and won and lost, when the pirates find their treasures and the dragons eat their foes for breakfast with a nice cup of Lapsang souchong, someone needs to tell their bits of overlapping narrative.

There's magic in that. It's in the listener, and for each and every ear it will be different, and it will affect them in ways they can never predict. From the mundane to the profound. You may tell a tale that takes up residence in someone's soul, becomes their blood and self and purpose.

"That tale will move them and drive them and who knows what they might do because of it, because of your words. That is your role, your gift. Your sister may be able to see the future, but you yourself can shape it, boy. Do not forget that... there are many kinds of magic, after all.”
― Erin Morgenstern (The Night Circus)

(One of my favourite reads of 2011, The Night Circus is a book filled with phantasmagorical and vivid imagery. The settings, the writing and the story was and is just incredible. 

It's one of those books that I think shouldn't be talked about too much, but should be experienced, because no amount of praise on my part will be able to accurately capture just how phenomenal this book really is.)


4.
“I love you as certain dark things are loved, secretly, between the shadow and the soul.”
― Stephanie Perkins (Anna and the French Kiss)

(If this quote doesn't convince how just how charming and swoon-worthy this read is, I don't know what will. :-))

5. “Maybe it was true, and being a girl could be about interest rates and skinny jeans, riding bikes and wearing pink. Not about any one thing, but everything.”
― Sarah Dessen ( Along for the Ride)

(A review of Along for the Ride should be coming soon, but suffice to say that I'm in utter book love with this one.)
 

6. “Outside, the ocean was crashing, waves hitting sand, then pulling back to sea. I thought of everything being washed away, again and again.

"We make such messes in this life, both accidentally and on purpose. But wiping the surface clean doesn't really make anything neater. It just masks what is below. It's only when you really dig down deep, go underground, that you can see who you really are.”
― Sarah Dessen, What Happened to Goodbye

(You can tell how much I love Sarah right? She didn't get one quote, but two. If I could fit more in, trust me... I would) 
7. “Life's a freaking mess. In fact, I'm going to tell Sarah we need to start a new philosophical movement: messessentialism instead of existentialism: For those who revel in the essential mess that is life.

"Because Gram's right, there's not one truth ever, just a bunch of stories, all going on at once, in our heads, in our hearts, all getting in the way of each other. It's all a beautiful calamitous mess.

It's like the day Mr. James took us into the woods and cried triumphantly, "That's it! That's it!" to the dizzying cacophony of soloing instruments trying to make music together. That is it.”
― Jandy Nelson (The Sky Is Everywhere)

(This book broke my heart into little pieces and then put it back together and made my soul sing. Joe and Lennie are without a doubt two of my favourite fictional couple and characters ever.)



8.
“Allure goes beyond appearances to the way they grace the world. Some women propel themselves by means of an internal gyroscope. Others glide through life as if on ice skates. Some women convey their tortured lives through their eyes; others encircle you in the music of their laughter.”
― Keith Donohue (The Stolen Child)

(The book that awakened my dormant love of all things fantasy and fey. Read this a few years back, but I think it's time for a re-read.)

9. “We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.”
― Veronica Roth (Divergent)

(It's Veronica Roth. I don't think I need to say more. :-D) 

10.
“Live each day as if it's your last', that was the conventional advice, but really, who had the energy for that? What if it rained or you felt a bit glandy? It just wasn't practical. Better by far to simply try and be good and courageous and bold and to make a difference. Not change the world exactly, but the bit around you.

"Go out there with your passion and your electric typewriter and work hard at...something. Change lives through art maybe. Cherish your friends, stay true to your principles, live passionately and fully and well. Experience new things. Love and be loved, if you ever get the chance.”
― David Nicholls (One Day)

(Another one of my all-time favourites, One Day is a book that taught me, broke me, made me laugh and made me cry. Most of all, it made me believe in love and in the power of change - all one step at a time.)

That's my list for today. What are some of your favourite bookish quotes? Feel free to share your posts below. I'd love to check them out.

3 comments:

Shelagh said...

There are some gorgeous quotes here Tammy! Plus you've given me some new books to look into or move up my TBR pile.

Most of the quotes I collect don't necessarily come from books, but often anecdotes and interviews. One such quote is: "You can never get a cup of teas large enough or a book long enough to suit me." ~ C.S. Lewis

Keri said...

I love the quotes from Divergent and The Sky is Everywhere. Quotes are brilliant. They make wriggle with desire to dive into the pages of a good book.

Splendibird said...

This is such a great idea for a post. I love The Sky is Everywhere too and it is endlessly quotable. However, my favourite quote (not to mention the best opening line EVER) is the first line of The Secret History by Donna Tartt: THE SNOW in the mountains was melting and Bunny had been dead for several weeks before we came to understand the gravity of our situation.