Saturday, July 28, 2012

Author guest post: Lisa M. Stasse’s Top 10 Dystopian fiction reads + book trailer

Hi everyone

I’m so excited about today’s guest post.

The lovely Lisa Stasse, author of The Forsaken, a YA Dystopian fiction novel that has just recently been published (and from the reviews I’ve seen, is pretty awesome), has kindly agreed to take some time out to share and recommend some of her favourite speculative works of fiction.

Don’t you just love authors who compile lists like these?  I always love seeing what authors love reading and obviously do a secret little happy dance when I discover:

a) books I haven’t heard about before, and
b) seeing some of my favourites on their list

And Lisa’s post definitely features a bit of both.

Before we get on to her post though, for those of you who haven’t heard about The Forsaken, here’s some more information about the book:
The Forsaken
Summary from Goodreads
*Note: The Forsaken is the first book in a trilogy.
As an obedient orphan of the U.N.A. (the super-country that was once Mexico, the U.S., and Canada), Alenna learned at an early age to blend in and be quiet—having your parents taken by the police will do that to a girl.

But Alenna can’t help but stand out when she fails a test that all sixteen-year-olds have to take:

The test says she has a high capacity for brutal violence, and so she is sent to The Wheel, an island where all would-be criminals end up.

The life expectancy of prisoners on The Wheel is just two years, but with dirty, violent, and chaotic conditions, the time seems a lot longer as Alenna is forced to deal with civil wars for land ownership and machines that snatch kids out of their makeshift homes.

Desperate, she and the other prisoners concoct a potentially fatal plan to flee the island. Survival may seem impossible, but Alenna is determined to achieve it anyway

Head on over to Goodreads to add it to your TBR pile.

Over to Lisa.

MY 10 FAVORITE DYSTOPIAN NOVELS 

So here are my top ten dystopian novels.

I could probably list my top forty (or even a top hundred), but that's because I love dystopian and post-apocalyptic literature.

And also because I'm a librarian at UCLA, so I'm around books all the time, and get to read most of the dystopians out there.

Anyway, here are my all-time favorites, although there are tons of great ones that I didn't put on this list. I'll start with the classics!

1. Lord of the Flies--Is this book considered dystopian? I think it is. It's one of my favorite novels. It manages to accomplish so much in so few pages.

I didn't love it when I first read it in high school (probably because there are no female characters). But over the years, I've got really obsessed with it. It's probably one of the most influential books of the past century.

2. A Clockwork Orange--Terrifying and brilliant. The character Alex, with his demented obsession with ultra-violence, is one of my favorite anti-heroes of all time. And the movie is awesome too!

3. 1984--I think I first read this in high school, and then again in college. Completely riveting and highly disturbing.

4. Fahrenheit 451--Another classic dystopian. Ray Bradbury actually wrote this in the building where I currently work--Powell library at UCLA--on a rented typewriter. This is one of those books that is eerily prophetic about where our society is headed.

5. The Hunger Games--Brilliantly constructed and pitch perfect. Great characters and story. It's one of my favorite YA novels in general (along with John Green's Looking for Alaska) as well as being one of my favorite dystopians.

6. The Maze Runner--Filled with action and mystery. When I read this one, I literally couldn't put it down because I was so eager to find out what happened next!

7. Divergent--Such a great book. Really well written, with a fantastic heroine. I was very impressed by this one. The sequel Insurgent is great too.

8. Never Let Me Go--I loved this book, although the disappointing movie version bummed me out. It could have been amazing! The book is so creepy and intensely emotional. I really recommend it to anyone who likes bleak and downbeat dystopians.

9. The Road--I suppose this is technically post-apocaplyptic instead of dystopian, but it's an incredibly moving piece of work. Cormac McCarthy is a genius (his other books are great too). And I liked the movie version of this one, although most of my friends didn't. The movie was depressing, but had an amazing performance by Viggo Mortensen in it.

10. House of Stairs--Okay, so I read this one when I was a kid, but it really stuck with me. A group of kids wake up in a harsh environment that consists only of stairs. In order to get food they have to obey machines that force them to fight each other. This is a quick read, but its central concept (and the twist at the end) make it worthwhile.

Thanks again for stopping by Lisa. Never Let Me Go happens to be one of my favourite books too (have yet to still watch the movie though).

Check out the book trailer for The Forsaken below:



Discussion time: What are some of your favourite dystopian reads? Any books you’d like to recommend? Please feel free to share your recs below. Would love to hear about the dystopian reads that have left a lasting impression on you.

Book 1 in the trilogy is now available now from Simon & Schuster in the US and Orchard/Hachette in the UK.

For more information on the book and on Lisa you can visit:
Lisa’s website 
Check her out on Goodreads
Follow her on Twitter  
Visit the Forsaken Facebook Page

P.S. I’ve been a bit of a no-show lately, but things have been incredibly busy on my side.  Will hopefully be catching up during the course of the week, so if I haven’t been visiting any of you lately, it’s simply because life simply wouldn’t allow me to. Sigh.

1 comments:

Preet @ A Written Rhapsody said...

I've really been wanting to check out Forsaken for a while! Can't wait to check it out.