Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday: Of Genies, Goblin Kings & Brazilian Sambas

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill from Breaking the Spine. The idea behind this meme is to highlight up and coming releases that we just can't wait to read.

It’s been ages since I’ve really had a chance to do one of these (sigh, life seems to interrupt more often than I’d like these days), so I thought I’d highlight not just one pick, but three.

First up is:

The Art of Wishing  by Lindsay Ribar

Publication date: March 21st 2013 by Dial Books For Young Readers

He can grant her wishes, but only she can save his life.

Margo McKenna has a plan of attack for everything, from landing the lead in her high school musical to dealing with her increasingly absent parents.

But when she finds herself in possession of a genie's ring and the opportunity to make three wishes, she doesn't know what to do.

Especially since Oliver--not blue-skinned, not bottle-dwelling, but a genie nonetheless--can see more than what she's willing to show him.

With one peek into her mind, he can see the wishes that even Margo herself doesn't know she wants.

But Oliver comes with more than just mind-reading abilities, a flair for magic, and the prettiest eyes Margo's ever seen.

Someone from his past is hunting him--someone bent on killing him, along with all the other genies in the world, for the sake of honor. And as Margo soon discovers, it will take more than three wishes to save him.

A whole lot more.

Eek. Can we all shout GENIES? I mean, how refreshing is that? Sure, Jackson Pearce has done it, but that was a while back, and since then, the book world has been dominated by every other paranormal creature that’s become way too much of a staple in the market.

So Genies? Bring ‘em on I say. And how exciting does this one sound.  I love the concept and the cover… and… and… is it wrong that I now want to start singing Christina Aguilera’s Genie in a Bottle, even though this one isn’t a bottle-dwelling one?


The second book on my WoW list is: 

Greta and the Goblin King by Chloe Jacobs 

Publication date: November 13th 2012 by Entangled Publishing, LLC

While trying to save her brother from the witch three years ago, Greta was thrown into the fire herself, falling through a portal to a dangerous world where humans are the enemy, and every ogre, goblin, and ghoul has a dark side that comes out with the full moon.

To survive, 17-year-old Greta has hidden her humanity and taken the job of bounty hunter—and she’s good at what she does.

So good, she’s caught the attention of Mylena’s young Goblin King, the darkly enticing Isaac, who invades her dreams and undermines her determination to escape.

But Greta’s not the only one looking to get out of Mylena.

The full moon is mere days away, and an ancient evil being knows she’s the key to opening the portal. If Greta fails, she and the boys she finds stranded in the woods will die. If she succeeds, no world will be safe from what follows her back . . .

Ok, so how many of you were obsessed with Labyrinth when you were younger? Remember David Bowie in those tight, stretchy breeches?

Well, he was the start of many goblin-esque fanaticism from my side, which is why, when I stumbled upon this little gem, I couldn’t help but rub my hands in glee.

Another reviewer named Heather, on Goodreads describes it as, and I quote: “Hansel and Gretel meets Alice in Wonderland meets Labyrinth…”

… Now tell me that didn’t get your attention? I can’t wait to read this one.
 
Finally, we have:

The Summer Prince by Alaya Dawn Johnson

Publication date: March 1st 2013 by Scholastic

A heart-stopping story of love, death, technology, and art set amid the tropics of a futuristic Brazil.

The lush city of Palmares Tres shimmers with tech and tradition, with screaming gossip casters and practiced politicians. 

In the midst of this vibrant metropolis, June Costa creates art that's sure to make her legendary.

But her dreams of fame become something more when she meets Enki, the bold new Summer King. The whole city falls in love with him (including June's best friend, Gil).
 
But June sees more to Enki than amber eyes and a lethal samba. She sees a fellow artist.

Together, June and Enki will stage explosive, dramatic projects that Palmares Tres will never forget. They will add fuel to a growing rebellion against the government's strict limits on new tech. And June will fall deeply, unfortunately in love with Enki.

Because like all Summer Kings before him, Enki is destined to die.

Pulsing with the beat of futuristic Brazil, burning with the passions of its characters, and overflowing with ideas, this fiery novel will leave you eager for more from Alaya Dawn Johnson.

Ok, I have to confess that the blurb confuses me a little especially considering that the title is The Summer Prince while the blurb mentions Summer King, but when I read “amber eyes, and lethal samba”, in conjunction with the fact that this futuristic novel is set in sultry Brazil, well guess who added this to her TBR,  pile?

Also, I suppose there must be a reason for the title, so I’m not going to let that little detail stop me from squeeing over this book. I’d be very interested to see how this novel plays out. Can you imagine the writing?

And did I mention this book is set in Brazil? So much win if you ask me.
 
That's it from me for this week. What's on your Wow list? Feel free to share your list of links below.

12 comments:

Maxine said...

Sounds lovely! I hope you enjoy it when it comes out :)

Here is my WoW post. Check it out? ;)

-Maxine @ Teenage Fiction

adinabb said...

Love the cover of The Summer Prince. Great picks :)

Leanna (Daisy Chain Book Reviews) said...

The Art of Wishing sounds like a lot of fun! :)

Mel - Thedailyprophecy. said...

Great, great picks! I like the sound of all three, especially the first one: genies :D

Come visit my WoW.

Jenea Whittington said...

Great pick.. All of these are on my TBR mountain... They sounds fantastic.

Jenea @ Books Live Forever
http://booksliveforever.com/?p=4078

Amber (Books of Amber) said...

The Art of Wishing sounds AWESOME. I'm excited!

Books of Amber

Book Blogger Mom said...

I haven't heard of that book.

I'm a new GFC follower.

Here's my WoW - http://bookbloggermom.blogspot.com/2012/09/waiting-on-wednesday-8.html

lsmurphy.com said...

Those all sound great!

Tribute Books Mama said...

Good choices, enjoy!

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/09/waiting-on-wednesday_12.html

Sugar and Snark said...

Some fantastic choices! Happy Wednesday :)

Our WoW
Sugar & Snark

Chapter by Chapter said...

All three are fantastic picks! I'm looking forward to all of them. Totally love your header by the way. The glittery wings are very mesmerizing :) Fantastic picks!

MaryAnn @ Chapter by Chapter
Our WoW pick this week!

Giselle from Book Nerd said...

The Summer Prince looks so great! That cover alone would look wonderful on my shelf :D Thanks so much for sharing!
------
Giselle from Book Nerd Canada
Waiting on Wednesday #38