Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Imposter blog tour: Pink Hair and Alice in Wonderland Tattoos (Guest post by author Jill Hathaway)

As part of the promo tour for Jill Hathaway’s Imposter, book 2 in the Slide series, it’s an absolute pleasure to welcome Jill to my blog today. 

Now for those who haven’t heard of the books, Slide is about a girl who slides into the mind of other people and sees and experiences the world through that person’s perspective.

Of course, being able to do what she does, she often learns unpleasant things about people she’d rather not know, yet nothing prepares her for the day when she slides into the mind of someone standing over the body of a girl, holding a bloodied knife in said person’s hand.

Book 2 introduces us to a new character and focuses on Vee having really strange out-of-body experiences happening to her.

In today’s post, Jill chats to us about giving certain quirks to her characters – things she wishes she had and that she could pull off – like giving her main character Vee pink hair for instance.

For me this was such a fun post – and one that I can really relate to - because I’m seriously hoping to go with pink hair myself at some point (Well, black hair with pink streaks to be more specific)..

But anyway, I’ll stop rambling now – and hand the reigns over to Jill.

Before I do so though, here’s more information about Slide and Imposter, followed by Jill’s lovely guest post. 

About Slide
Vee Bell is certain of one irrefutable truth--her sister's friend Sophie didn't kill herself. She was murdered.

Vee knows this because she was there. Everyone believes Vee is narcoleptic, but she doesn't actually fall asleep during these episodes:

When she passes out, she slides into somebody else's mind and experiences the world through that person's eyes.

She's slid into her sister as she cheated on a math test, into a teacher sneaking a drink before class.

She learned the worst about a supposed "friend" when she slid into her during a school dance.

But nothing could have prepared Vee for what happens one October night when she slides into the mind of someone holding a bloody knife, standing over Sophie's slashed body.

Vee desperately wishes she could share her secret, but who would believe her? It sounds so crazy that she can't bring herself to tell her best friend, Rollins, let alone the police.

Even if she could confide in Rollins, he has been acting distant lately, especially now that she's been spending more time with Zane.

Enmeshed in a terrifying web of secrets, lies, and danger and with no one to turn to, Vee must find a way to unmask the killer before he or she strikes again.

Add Slide to your Goodreads TBR pile. 

About Imposter

What if a killer took control of you?

Vee Bell’s gift (or curse) of “sliding”—slipping into the mind of another person and experiencing life, briefly, through his or her eyes—has been somewhat under control since she unwillingly witnessed the horrific deaths of her classmates six months ago.

But just as things are getting back to normal, Vee has a very bizarre experience: she loses consciousness and finds herself in a deserted area, at the edge of a cliff, with the broken body of the boy who took advantage of her on the rocks below.

As Vee finds herself in stranger and stranger situations with no memory of getting there, she begins to suspect that someone she knows has the ability to slide—and that this “slider” is using Vee to exact revenge on his or her enemies..

Add Imposter to your Goodreads TBR pile.

Guest post: Pink Hair and Alice in Wonderland Tattoos

Over the past few years, people have given YA writers a ton of crap for “wish fulfillment” in their stories.

You know the schtick: dozens of sexay guys fall in love with the main character, who is subtly gorgeous but doesn't realize it. I’m no better. I wrote Rollins’s character with Jared Leto (back in his My So-Called Life days) in my head the whole time.

Likewise, I write my characters with my own fashion quirks or rocking the trends I wish I could pull off. For instance, Vee’s pink hair. I’ve always wanted pink hair.

I remember back in the 90s when everyone was dying their hair with Kool-Aid.

My mother was having none of it.

The best I got were blonde highlights. In college, I probably could have done the pink hair thing (I had my eyebrow pierced, for Pete's sake), but something held me back. Maybe fear. I don’t know.

When I wrote Vee, though, I got to live vicariously through her (coincidentally enough). I gave her the pink hair I always wanted. I also put her in Converse shoes and gave her all the band t-shirts I had growing up.

In IMPOSTOR, there’s this new character with a badass Alice in Wonderland tattoo.

That came from me standing in line at Panchero’s and seeing this gorgeous girl with a white rabbit tattoo on her arm. I would love to put some art like that on my body, but something is still holding me back. I’ve been turning over the idea of a tattoo in my head for years now.

Something like, "Be your own hero." I don’t know if I’ll ever pull the trigger.

But, until then, I get to dress my characters in the things I’d love to wear.

Thanks for stopping by Jill.

About Jill

Jill Hathaway lives in the Des Moines area with her husband and young children. Having earned her BA in English Education from the University of Northern Iowa and her MA in Literature from Iowa State University, she teaches high school English and dual credit courses for Des Moines Area Community College.

Where you can find her:

Visit her blog
Check out her Goodreads profile
Follow her on Twitter

1 comments:

Wendy Darling said...

Aw, cute post. I think wish fulfillment only becomes a problem if what's described is so far-fetched/ridiculous that it strains credulity. I can think of one prime example, where the boy speaks French, quotes books, lives in a stunning house with marbled floors and bookcases up to the ceiling, all the girls love him but OF COURSE he never slept with the one girl the heroine hates, pulls out a wad of cash at one point...you get the picture.

I have read and enjoyed both Slide and Impostor, and I didn't think those crossed the line in wish fulfillment at all. I've always wanted to dye my hair a crazy color, so it was fun to read about a heroine who actually did it. ;) Thanks for the interview!

Wendy @ The Midnight Garden