Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Author guest post: Suzi Davis on magic in her book world

Today I’m featuring a guest post from author, Suzi Davis.

I first got in touch with Suzi after reading a blogger’s review of Amber Frost, the first book in a young adult fantasy trilogy.

Having read and reviewed the book, I can tell you that the one thing that really stood out for me, was Suzi’s incorporation of ancient and Celtic-inspired magic within her novel.

Now with Silver Dew (the second book in the trilogy) and Sapphire Sun already out, I couldn’t help but want to revisit the magic in the world I first got to know in Amber Frost (I’ll be reading and reviewing both Silver Dew and Sapphire Sun, so keep an eye out for that).

Luckily for me, Suzi was very obliging and kindly agreed to write a post about the magic that has inspired her trilogy.

As usual, before I hand over the reins, here’s some more information about Silver Dew and Sapphire Sun.

You read my review of Amber Frost (book 1) here. 

About Silver Dew
Just weeks before graduating from high school, Grace is running for her life with her magical and mysterious boyfriend, Sebastian, by her side.

An ancient magic has been awakened inside of Grace that is powerful, frightening and barely within her control.

The Others, who possess their own dangerous magic, are hunting them, and their only hope is for Grace to learn how to harness her incredible powers to stop them.

The answers they seek are hidden within a life lived thousands of years ago, shrouded in mystery, magic and deceit.

When their past catches up to them, Grace and Sebastian are faced with a truth that shakes the foundation of their relationship, their lives and everything they thought they knew.

It is up to Grace to learn to control the Lost Magic, to right the wrongs that have been done, and to discover once and for all, who she really is

Add Silver Dew to your Goodreads TBR pile (Scroll down for more info on Sapphire Sun).

Over to Suzi


Lost Magic


When I was a child, I was afraid of the dark. To be honest, I’m (nearly) 30 years old and I still don’t like the dark. I sleep with the hallway light on if my husband’s not home and I would never walk anywhere by myself at night, no matter how safe.

I blame my overactive imagination, a writer’s friend and foe. But when I was a child, it wasn’t just my imagination that caused me to be scared of the dark, it was because I didn’t know what might be lurking in the dark and there weren’t yet limits on what I didn’t know.

If I felt it, if I could imagine it, I knew it could also be real.

As adults, there aren’t many things that we still believe in on faith alone – religion perhaps, love (for some) but generally we want to only believe in what we can see, measure and prove. As we grow, we become somewhat jaded by life and lose our natural innocence.

Part of the magic of childhood is that the world is not only still full of possibilities but that these possibilities are limitless. Children live in a world where magic is real and they experience it every day.

A child’s world often doesn’t make sense and it doesn’t have to! There are monsters and magic and mysteries in childhood, and it is amazing and exciting and real. I miss that.

The real “lost magic” is the magic of our childhood, a time that we can never get back. This is what truly inspired The Lost Magic series and the idea for the Lost Magic itself. I wanted to create a modern world where magic is real, where possibilities are limitless, where strange things happen that you simply can’t explain.

I wanted to show that love at first sight can still exist, and that it can be honest and magical and real. I wanted to not only capture the magic of first love, but to also recreate that exciting, mysterious, limitless feeling of innocence and possibilities unknown.

The way we once were, the way the world looked, the magic that we used to feel and still can: that is what The Lost Magic is about.

From Amber Frost (Book 1 of The Lost Magic):


“I’ve always thought that my influence over events was limited by what’s possible but those limits may have been self-imposed by my own notions of what’s possible and what isn’t. Or perhaps if I want something to be possible, it can be,” Sebastian mused. “This opens up a whole new world of…”

“Possibilities?” I finished for him, my voice faint.

“Exactly.”


Thanks for stopping by Suzi! 

About Sapphire Sun
You can't escape the past. You can try to forget but it never truly leaves you. It is a part of who are you are; it has shaped you, it will shape your future.

It is the shadow behind you. You can't outrun it, you can't hide from it or deny it - the past will always exist. Who you once were is still a part of who you are today. This, I now understand.

My name is Gracelynn Stevenson. I tried to destroy The Lost Magic.

I tried to erase the past. I tried to make things go back to the way that they once were. I failed.

And now all the happiness I thought I had found, has been lost to the shadows.

Add Sapphire Sun to your Goodreads TBR pile. 

About Suzi:
What should I say about myself?

Amber Frost was my first novel and I have now added two more books (Silver Dew & Sapphire Sun) to The Lost Magic series. It is a Young-Adult paranormal romance series set in Victoria, BC.

I have been reading a lot of YA books lately but I also read books in pretty much every genre and welcome recommendations!

When I'm not reading or writing, you'll find me spending time with my hubbie and our beautiful little monsters (we have two boys under the age of 4).

I also work part-time for my local school district, supporting students who have special educational needs.

I was born in Surrey, England but currently live in a small town on Vancouver Island on the west coast of Canada and get to enjoy living in one of the most beautiful places on Earth.

I love to be outside (when it's warm enough!) and spend a lot of time exploring out local parks, lakes, rivers, and mountains.

Where to find her:
Goodreads
Website
Twitter

0 comments: