Friday, June 28, 2013

Cover reveal & Excerpt: Sharp Edges by S.A Partridge

Eep.

I’m so excited about today’s post, because not only will I be doing a cover reveal of a book I’m really, really looking forward to, but I’ll also be providing you with an excerpt from this up and coming gritty and edgy YA novel.

In the past, I’ve often seen bloggers ask where the international YA authors are, so another huge part of why I’m so ridiculously happy about this blog post is because I’m spotlighting a book by an award-winning South African Young Adult author – one whom I’ve also had the privilege of meeting and attending a book festival with.

S.A Partridge, the S being short for Sally, is the phenomenal and Cape Town-based author who has written some incredible books – Dark Poppy ‘s Demise (a cautionary tale about the dangers of social media networks), Fuse (an edgy YA novel that deals with the theme of bullying and the consequences thereof) and The Goblet Club (a YA gothic novel all about murder, mystery and exploring the study of poisons).

I know – they all sound incredible, right?

Well in today’s post, I’m unveiling the cover for her new book, Sharp Edges – and it’s absolutely gorgeous.  I love how sharply it contrasts against the background and the swirling dress seems so contradictory – at once all pretty and light, but also enigmatic and unsettling – pretty much what I love in a cover and a story.

More about the book below.


About the book
For her seventeenth birthday, Demi Crowley invites her five closest friends to join her at a music festival for a party to end all parties. But what was supposed to be the night of their lives soon becomes a nightmare none of them will ever forget.

Sharp Edges is a topsy-turvy tale of love, loss and friendship that will stay with you long after the final page has been turned, and leave you questioning what you really know about your friends.

(And begs the question): Who killed Demi Crowley?


Find out 26 August 2013.

For a little preview of the book, check out the  excerpt below:

“Bonang!”

“I’m over here, hurry up.”

I wave from the front of the line and wait for the pop of recognition in my friend’s eyes. When she sees me, Ntombi and a girl I don’t recognise hurry over and join me in the queue.

Ntombi is wearing a colourful short dress that shows off her long legs. The blonde girl is wearing black jeans and a button-up shirt. How boring. They push themselves into the line and we deliberately keep our eyes in front of us to avoid the angry complaints coming from behind.

“Sorry I’m late. I had to pick up Ashley in Fourways,” said Ntombi, as she brushes one of her braids out of her face. I look at this “Ashley”.

Her hair is very white, although the dark roots are starting to show, and her face is pocked with holes from previous piercings as if she took all the metal jewellery out in one go. She doesn’t meet my gaze.

I turn to my best friend and give her a look that says “WTF”.

She shrugs. “Ashley is new to my grade. I thought I’d show her what the nightlife is like in Jozi. She’s from Cape Town.”

It’s clear that Ashley doesn’t like being spoken about. She starts chewing her hair nervously.

I sigh.

“Just act cool, okay? If the bouncer asks how old you are, say nineteen.”

The new girl nods, but her eyes are looking everywhere but at me.

Ntombi shrugs again and links her arm through mine. “Don’t worry about Ashley; she’s alright. You’re looking fabulous, by the way.”

I smile at the compliment. I had squeezed myself into the teeniest, sparkliest dress I own. I like looking good when I go out. Scratch that. I love looking better than everyone else.

The bouncer scrutinises us, but lets us into the club without hassle. He probably recognises me from the previous weekend.

As soon as we cross the threshold, I start to move. My hips start swaying and my arms stretch up to the sky.

I might not be the smartest girl in class – Ntombi has enough brains for both of us – and I’m useless at most sports, but when it comes to dancing, I’m in my element.

I sashay towards the dance floor, my fingers waving at all the familiar faces from recent parties. I spin on the spot, motioning for Ntombi to join me, but she isn’t looking at me. I watch as she and Ashley slip into a booth at the far end of the room.

My good mood crumples a little. I’m not used to Ntombi having other friends. I turn back to the dance floor and lose myself to the hip hop beats, stamping my feet and waving my arms, determined to have a good time.

I’m not going to let some girl with confidence problems ruin my night.

Click here to read the rest of the excerpt.

What Sally has to say about the cover:
The cover for Sharp Edges was designed by Cape Town designer Warren Talmarkes.

I wanted something beautiful and eerie, with a touch of darkness. Warren's interpretation is perfect. I couldn't be happier. 

More About Sally:

S.A Partridge is an award-winning author of teen fiction and one of the Mail & Guardian’s Top 200 Young South Africans.

Sally is the author of young adult novels The Goblet Club, Fuse and Dark Poppy’s Demise and has twice won the M.E.R. Prize for Youth Ficiton as well as other distinctions.

Her latest novel, Sharp Edges, will be published 26 August 2013.

Where you can find Sally:
Web 
Twitter
Facebook
Goodreads

1 comments:

Krystianna said...

WOAH. This one sounds really good! I can't believe that this is the first I've heard of it. The cover is absolutely fantastic as well. I love it. :) Thank you so much for sharing! I can see why you're excited for this book. :)
Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian