Sunday, October 11, 2015

Book spotlight: 5 YA thrillers I can’t wait to read

It’s been a while since I’ve done a book spotlight feature, so I thought I’d do a quick highlights post of five keep-you-on-the-edge-of-your seat reads that I’m really looking forward to buying and reading.

Barring my current reads, I’ve actually been in the mood for a good thriller, especially given the fact that I’ve recently finished  and reviewed What Waits in the Woods, The Retribution of Mara Dyer, the final book in the The Mara Dyer trilogy, and The Girl on the Train – all of which I enjoyed, although the last two far more than the first one.

So, in no particular order, here are a few of the YA thrillers that I’m definitely going to a)get my hands on if I haven’t already, and b) read as soon as humanly possible. 

The Dead House by Dawn Kurtagich
About the book:

Part-psychological thriller, part-urban legend, this is an unsettling narrative made up of diary entries, interview transcripts, film footage transcripts and medical notes.

Twenty-five years ago, Elmbridge High burned down. Three people were killed and one pupil, Carly Johnson, disappeared. Now a diary has been found in the ruins of the school.

The diary belongs to Kaitlyn Johnson, Carly’s identical twin sister.

But Carly didn’t have a twin . . .

For the full summary, and to add it to your TBR pile, do head on over and visit Goodreads…

Why I’m excited: I’m sorry, but that line of Carly not having a twin? Instant intrigue. Doesn’t it just make you want to pick up the book this. Very. Moment?

That, plus the fact that it’s described as being part urban legend (which I’m a huge sucker for) immediately had me adding it to my shelves.  And if you need more convincing, well, I’m just going to let the trailer speak for itself, ok? But trust me, you’re going to want to read this one.

I’m currently reading (and loving) this one as we speak, so do look out for a review in the foreseeable future.

Check out the trailer:


 

After the Woods by Kim Savage (this one’s only being published in February 2016)

About the book: 
One year ago, two best friends, Liv and Julia, were attacked in the woods by a paroled predator. In an attempt to save Liv, Julia was left behind while Liv escaped. After spending three days in the woods trying to escape her abductor, Julia was rescued.

She only remembers what happened in the woods in terrifying flashbacks. Now, on the eve of the anniversary of the attack, a body is found in the woods.

Add it to Goodreads

Why I’m excited: I’ve always been intrigued by stories that deal with destructive friendships, so it would be interesting to see just how this friendship is affected by the events that occur in this book. 

And of course, I would like to confirm whether my suspicions about what happens in the story, is actually more than just a hunch. Oh and how did she survive for those three days?

So many questions… so many reasons to read this book.

If You're Lucky by Yvonne Prinz
About the book:
When seventeen-year-old Georgia’s brother drowns while surfing halfway around the world in Australia, she refuses to believe Lucky’s death was just bad luck. Lucky was smart.

He wouldn’t have surfed in waters more dangerous than he could handle. Then a stranger named Fin arrives in False Bay, claiming to have been Lucky’s best friend.

Soon Fin is working for Lucky’s father, charming Lucky’s mother, dating his girlfriend. Georgia begins to wonder: did Fin murder Lucky in order to take over his whole life? 

Determined to clear the fog from her mind in order to uncover the truth about Lucky’s death, Georgia secretly stops taking the medication that keeps away the voices in her head….

Read the rest of the synopsis on Goodreads

Why I’m excited: Two words: Unreliable narrator.  Also, I’m interested to see how the mental health issue is tackled and how the book deals with the stigma or belief that it’s easier and safer to believe the lies of a charming stranger, versus the potential truth of a mind that’s not altogether stable, and as such, untrustworthy.

Burning  by Danielle Rollins
About the book:

After three years in juvie, Angela Davis is just a few months shy of release, and she'll finally be free from the hole that is Brunesfield Correctional Facility. Then Jessica arrives. Only ten years old and under the highest security possible, this girl has to be dangerous, even if no one knows what she did to land in juvie.

Check out the rest of synopsis on Goodreads.

Why I’m excited: Um, hello, a potential criminal that’s only 10 years old? Of course I friggin’ want to know what she did to end up in a juvenile centre.

Also, this book is being described as a twist on Orange is the New Black, so if you’re a fan of the show, then you should probably make a note and add this book to your TBR pile.

Need by Joelle Charbonneau
About the book:
"No one gets something for nothing. We all should know better."

Teenagers at Wisconsin's Nottawa High School are drawn deeper into a social networking site that promises to grant their every need . . . regardless of the consequences.

Soon the site turns sinister, with simple pranks escalating to malicious crimes. The body count rises.

In this chilling YA thriller, the author of the best-selling Testing trilogy examines not only the dark side of social media, but the dark side of human nature.

Add it to your Goodreads TBR pile   

Why I’m excited: Because who doesn’t love a good book that explores the darker side of social media and the consequences of human greed? 

Check out the trailer:



How about you? What thrillers (ya or not) or are looking forward to reading? Let me know. I'm always keen for some new recs, as you well know.

0 comments: