Sunday, November 15, 2015

Book talk: 10 books I’m planning to read before I buy more new books

Ah, the plight(s) of a book lover.

I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one who is guilty of this, but at the moment, there are tons of books sitting in my shelves still waiting to be read. In the past month or so, I’ve made many a verbal agreement about self-imposed book buying bans, but to no avail.

I’ve even roped in one of my fabulous book blogging friends, but the lovely Urbanised Geek was just as bad at upholding her end of the bargain as I was (and am).

In light of this, I’ve decided the next best thing would be to make a list of 10 books I’m going to read next before I buy any additional books. At this rate, the books that I’ve been buying will never be read, so I’m considering this an intervention of sorts.

Without further ado, these are the books I’ll be reading before rewarding myself with new books. *grins*

1. After the Woods by Kim Savage

Would you risk your life to save your best friend?

Julia did. When a paroled predator attacked Liv in the woods, Julia fought back and got caught.

Liv ran, leaving Julia in the woods for a terrifying 48 hours that she remembers only in flashbacks. One year later, Liv seems bent on self-destruction, starving herself, doing drugs, and hooking up with a violent new boyfriend.

A dead girl turns up in those same woods, and Julia’s memories resurface alongside clues unearthed by an ambitious reporter that link the girl to Julia’s abductor.

As the devastating truth becomes clear, Julia realizes that after the woods was just the beginning.

Add the book to your TBR pile.

I’ve been looking forward to this book for ages, so huge thanks to Macmillan publishers for sending me a galley for review. I’ve been really getting into psychological thrillers of late, so After the Woods is definitely a book I’m hoping will deliver on thrills and chills.

2.The Girl at Midnight by Melissa Grey
Beneath the streets of New York City live the Avicen, an ancient race of people with feathers for hair and magic running through their veins.

Age-old enchantments keep them hidden from humans. All but one. Echo is a runaway pickpocket who survives by selling stolen treasures on the black market, and the Avicen are the only family she's ever known.

Echo is clever and daring, and at times she can be brash, but above all else she's fiercely loyal.

So when a centuries-old war crests on the borders of her home, she decides it's time to act.

Another book that’s been sitting on my shelf for ages that I’ve been meaning to read. It’s been a while since I’ve last read a gritty urban fantasy novel and this one looks like it might be right up my alley!

I’m definitely looking forward to learning more about the Avicen folk. They sound very intriguing.


Read more about the book on Goodreads

3. Walk on Earth a Stranger by Rae Carson

Lee Westfall has a strong, loving family. She has a home she loves and a loyal steed. She has a best friend—who might want to be something more.

She also has a secret.

Lee can sense gold in the world around her. Veins deep in the earth. Small nuggets in a stream. Even gold dust caught underneath a fingernail.

She has kept her family safe and able to buy provisions, even through the harshest winters. But what would someone do to control a girl with that kind of power?

A person might murder for it.

When everything Lee holds dear is ripped away, she flees west to California—where gold has just been discovered. Perhaps this will be the one place a magical girl can be herself. If she survives the journey.

Add it to your TBR pile

I’ve never read a book that’s been set in the Gold rush era, which is a huge part of the reason that I’m so keen to read this book. Having said that, I’ve also heard that Rae’s heroines are really kickass and I really like the sound of Lee, whose ability is one I haven’t come across in any genre as of yet.


4. Uprooted by Naomi Novik

Agnieszka loves her valley home, her quiet village, the forests and the bright shining river. But the corrupted Wood stands on the border, full of malevolent power, and its shadow lies over her life.

Her people rely on the cold, driven wizard known only as the Dragon to keep its powers at bay.

But he demands a terrible price for his help: one young woman handed over to serve him for ten years, a fate almost as terrible as falling to the Wood.

The next choosing is fast approaching, and Agnieszka is afraid.

She knows—everyone knows—that the Dragon will take Kasia: beautiful, graceful, brave Kasia, all the things Agnieszka isn’t, and her dearest friend in the world. And there is no way to save her.

But Agnieszka fears the wrong things. For when the Dragon comes, it is not Kasia he will choose.

Click here to add it to your Goodreads TBR pile

Uprooted is a book that’s been labelled as one of the best fantasy reads of this year. Besides the gorgeous cover, I immediately fell in love with the synopsis of the book. Also, one of the interns who work with us has been bugging me to read this book for ages. Says she needs someone to talk to about this awesome book, so who am I to deny her when I’m just as keen to read this book? 

5. Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon

Madeline Whittier is allergic to the outside world. So allergic, in fact, that she has never left the house in all of her seventeen years.

But when Olly moves in next door, and wants to talk to Maddie, tiny holes start to appear in the protective bubble her mother has built around her.

Olly writes his IM address on a piece of paper, shows it at her window, and suddenly, a door opens. But does Maddie dare to step outside her comfort zone?

Add it to your TBR pile

This one I’m actually about to start. I’ve heard marvellous things so I am crossing fingers and toes that I enjoy this book as much as everyone else seems to have.

 

6. Inherit the Stars by Tessa Elwood

Three royal houses ruling three interplanetary systems are on the brink of collapse, and they must either ally together or tear each other apart in order for their people to survive.

Asa is the youngest daughter of the house of Fane, which has been fighting a devastating food and energy crisis for far too long.

She thinks she can save her family’s livelihood by posing as her oldest sister in an arranged marriage with Eagle, the heir to the throne of the house of Westlet.

The appearance of her mother, a traitor who defected to the house of Galton, adds fuel to the fire, while Asa also tries to save her sister Wren's life . . . possibly from the hands of their own father.

But as Asa and Eagle forge a genuine bond, will secrets from the past and the urgent needs of their people in the present keep them divided?

Check it out on Goodreads

Another book I’m starting round about now, Inherit the Stars is actually a galley I’ve been invited to read by the publishers of the book. I’ve seen some really great reviews for this one and must admit that I’m intrigued by the concept of the book. Seems like blend of space opera sci-fi meets a bit of fantasy; here’s to hoping this read lives up to the good reviews I’ve stumbled across. 

7. I’ll Give you the Sun by Jandy Nelson


Jude and her twin Noah were incredibly close - until a tragedy drove them apart, and now they are barely speaking. 

Then Jude meets a cocky, broken, beautiful boy as well as a captivating new mentor, both of whom may just need her as much as she needs them.

What the twins don't realize is that each of them has only half the story and if they can just find their way back to one another, they have a chance to remake their world.

Add it to your Goodreads pile

I know. I know. It’s Jandy Nelson. I should have read this book a while ago. Thing is, when a book becomes hyped up, I feel like I’m under too much pressure to read it.

With everyone insisting on me reading this book, well, it began to feel as if I wouldn’t enjoy the book, which is why I’ve been putting it off. I think I’m finally ready to read it now though and expect to definitely fall in love with this one (Basically Jandy can do no wrong in my eyes).

8. Night Owls by Jenn Bennett

(The US edition is known as The Anatomical Shape of a Heart )


Meeting Jack on the Owl—San Francisco's night bus—turns Beatrix's world upside down.

Jack is charming, wildly attractive...and possibly one of San Francisco's most notorious graffiti artists.

But Jack is hiding a piece of himself.

On midnight rides and city rooftops, Beatrix begins to see who this enigmatic boy really is.

Check it out on Goodreads

Travelling night bus, graffiti artist ruffian and a girl trying to figure this mysterious boy out? Why, yes please…  

9. Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

This is a world divided by blood – red or silver.

The poverty-stricken Reds are commoners, living in the shadow of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.

To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from the Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.

Then Mare finds herself working at the Silver palace, in the midst of those she hates the most.

She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.

Add to your TBR pile here

Another one of those reads that I’ve seen around almost everywhere. I’m finally ready to give this one a go as well. I hope the hype is worth it, because this book really does sound awesome.
 
10. Vendetta by Catherine Doyle

When five brothers move into the abandoned mansion in her neighbourhood, Sophie Gracewell's life changes forever.

Irresistibly drawn to bad boy Nicoli, Sophie finds herself falling into a criminal underworld governed by powerful families.

As the boys' dark secrets begin to come to light, Sophie is confronted with stinging truths about her own family, too.

She must choose between two warring dynasties - the one she was born into, and the one she is falling in love with. When she does, blood will spill and hearts will break.

More info on Goodreads

YA and mafia madness? Falling in love with the sworn enemy? Yes. Yes. I’m a sucker for these kind of things, so sue me. :)

Which books (sitting in your shelves) do you still hope to read before the end of the year?

0 comments: